Pls Help with Relay 5pins...

cjkent

Joined Aug 2, 2009
Hello,

i have a 12volt electronic timer with 3digit led. connections: Coin slot, 12volts power, relay connect to TV to turn 'OFF' if no more time. coz i put a timer to my TV.

my problem is the Relay of a timer is 5pins, and i think this is not enough for my TV because every month i always change this relay. The time is zero but the TV still 'ON' then i change the 5pins relay then it's working good.

Please Help, if i change the relay to a bigger one with 8pins, 12volt will this work? if so what particular pins?

thanks

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
The number of "pins" don't enter into it, it's the voltage and current rating of the switched contacts that's probably insufficient - that or the coil is being overdriven and it's what's burning out.

By 5 pin you probably mean an SPDT relay, by 8 a DPDT but they come in thousands of contact and coil ratings.

Are there any numbers on the existing relay you've been using? If so, we might be able to determine its specs and suggest something a bit beefier that won't let you down.

cjkent

Joined Aug 2, 2009
5PINS RELAY:
12V=DC
12A 125V
8A 250V
8A 30V=DC

16A 125VAC 50/60hz
8A 277VAC
8A 30VAC S9912

8PINS RELAY:
JQX-76F
10A 240VAC
10A 28VDC
COIL : DC12V

The 5pins relay is the original on the timer.
The 8pins that the one i bought from electronics store.

the circuit board of the timer using 5pins relay.
my questions is what pins of the 8pins relay to connect on the board. which is 5holes only.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Better but not by much, you'll need to connect both sets of NO contacts together to increase reliability.

The thing is the ratings aren't bad, can't see how a TV could stress the contacts to the point of frequent failure unless these are cheap relays to begin with.

As to wiring it up just compare the pinouts given for the part #s you gave, there's no easy way to put it all in words and we don't know your mounting situation.

Personally I'd try one of these, they're decent relays:

Mouser Part #: 677-OMIH-SH-112L
Manufacturer Part #: OMIH-SH-112L,394
Manufacturer: Tyco Electronics / OEG
Description: General Purpose / Industrial Relays SPDT 16A 12VDC SENS

Mount it out of the way if necessary and run wires over to it.