Please read. electric go-kart questions

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Maybe not a magazine (Make is still alive?), but there sure is a lot of whacky stuff going on at Instructables, on YouTube, and so on. But it does all seem to be far outside the mainstream, which is more obsessed with drunken teenagers and "reality" TV.
MAKE is the only remaining magazine like that that I am aware of now. I wish we had some of the old ones back, like Popular Electronics and other ones with articles explaining how to build things. I really miss it. I'd be a subscriber to MAKE Magazine if it didn't cost $15/issue :eek:

tyrone7474

Joined May 21, 2012
He could still get an easy 10 MPH with 1ft Diameter wheels using just bicycle sprockets with 3:1 ratio. The lad is 17 with very limited skills (judging by his original proposal) and unlikely to be doing anything too high tech. Anything above 10 MPH , Ackerman angle, camber and castor angles are all going to come into play and it is going to require some serious money for brakes , steering chassis etc. at that stage. I don't think he is talking about a competition Go Cart , I think this is just a toy for a bit of fun. OP may correct me if I am wrong but that is the impression I get.
yeah i dont want one for a race or anything. just something to take out and ab out to have a bit of fun.. i do want to go like over 20mph ;) ahaaa i do love my speed..

i have a petrol lawnmower now what works like a dime :) its 4.2hp. not to sure what sort of speed i will get out of it... any ideas? and anyone know how i could rig it up?.. if anyone needs any photos i am happy to take some of it and post it on here..

sorry i havent been on for a while. i have had famly problems (death in fam) so i had to attend to lots of places...

Please get back and keeeeep posting!!!!!!!!!!! thanks :D:D:D

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A car battery is a poor choice for a go-cart because it is designed to supply a high current for only a few seconds to start a car motor then immediately be charged.
Use a more expensive "deep-discharge" battery designed for a wheelchair or a motor home instead.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
i have a petrol lawnmower now what works like a dime :) its 4.2hp. not to sure what sort of speed i will get out of it... any ideas?
That hp can easily get you to speeds you won't want to hit! 40+ mph But it will be nice for the acceleration.

Your mower engine is probably a vertical shaft, though? A horizontal shaft is much easier to work into the drivetrain.