Please post pictures of your Hakko soldering station

ix912

Joined Jan 15, 2010
I have also bought one of these from the same seller (Arctic Trader). The box was taped up so that you cannot see the labeling. When I opened the package, the invoice does not match the price that I paid (I paid 70.00, the receipt reads 22.25). AND they advertised that the box is factory sealed - how did this get in there? Hm... When I removed the power supply unit, the hakko brand logo was taped over by a "firesure" sticker. The sponge that arrived is about 1/3 the thickness of one that would be shipped with an authentic unit. Something's not right here... Anyway, I threatened them for a full refund, including shipping costs. They have not replied yet, as I have just sent it out... let's see how it goes.

vistula

Joined Dec 20, 2009
I tried to send you PM but it appears that you cant receive a PM. The sponge thickness, price differences on receipt and finally stickers mean nothing. This only indicates that they try to circumvent the customs in your country which they can claim is service to you (since you dont have to pay or have to pay less for taxes).

Take apart your soldering station and inspect it and compare it to the pictures provided in the second post in this thread. If your soldering station have same components then it is a fake. Also take at once contact with Hakko company. Did you open a paypal dispute yet?

Last edited:

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Depending upon how pissed you are about getting ripped off, you can also get the Federal Trade Commission and/or the Better Business Bureau involved to shut down the pirate operation. E Bay does offer you an opportunity to report replicas, counterfiets and unauthorized copies. Most of all, if your gut is telling you the unit is substandard, don't use it. It could pose a safety and/or a fire hazard.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...eit-products-1-08/overview/counterfeit-ov.htm

ix912

Joined Jan 15, 2010
I already know that the unit is fake- the way the system was built lacks precision machining so it's easy to tell by the minute details that it is an imitation - and I got a response from the dealer- he never admitted that the thing is genuine and that it is perfectly legal to market these in China. However, the dealer told me that I can return it to him, and he will refund me in full.

ix912

Joined Jan 15, 2010
When I opened the package, my iron gave off a strong nauseating odor (which smells somewhat like acrylic glue). Did yours have this problem?

vistula

Joined Dec 20, 2009
When I opened the package, my iron gave off a strong nauseating odor (which smells somewhat like acrylic glue). Did yours have this problem?
Yeah, there was a familiar smell coming from the unit however I couldn't recall at the time what exactly the smell reminded me of.

How long ago did this happen (your email exchange with the seller)?

vistula

Joined Dec 20, 2009
I wonder if acrylic glue is dangerous if heated by iron heating element when the soldering station is turned on...

I think that the seller agreed to refund you so quickly because he is afraid of three to four paypal disputes being started against him for same product at same time.

ix912

Joined Jan 15, 2010
That smell was quite unbearable - not to say that it's actually acrylic glue, but I will admit that the smell does not seem safe within the small confinement of my dorm. Have you tried emailing the dealer yet? They have a 30 day satisfaction return policy and they seem to honor it, at least after my threats. At any rate, I will proceed by returning the package... if he decides to screw me, I've recorded all the documents and communication regarding the transaction.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The Iron is fake but that does not mean the tips are, cause I always buy hakko tips from china, they have genuine tips.
The smell and smoke is cause by the tip from the first time use and every tip does it when heated up for the first time. It's a some kind tinned coating that is applied for storage when the tip's are brand new.
I always get that smell every time I renew my tip, it's no biggie.
But I can tell the base is fake cause I use a genuine iron it had given me years of faithful service.
I know ppl who use those fake ones, they never last more than a year in heavy use.

Rifaa

ix912

Joined Jan 15, 2010
The smell I am referring to does not apply to first time use of the tips (or the tips, for that matter). The whole unit smells when I first removed it from the box. I have never powered the thing up and I'm afraid of the consequences if I do. Besides, the dealer offered me a refund so I'm not going to complain. As for the tips themselves, I do not intend to pay $70 for some nice tips and a bargain bin iron.

vistula

Joined Dec 20, 2009
The smell I am referring to does not apply to first time use of the tips (or the tips, for that matter). The whole unit smells when I first removed it from the box. I have never powered the thing up and I'm afraid of the consequences if I do. Besides, the dealer offered me a refund so I'm not going to complain. As for the tips themselves, I do not intend to pay $70 for some nice tips and a bargain bin iron.
I have emailed them without getting any response. So I have decided to go through paypal.

About the tips. Mine tips weren't genuine I think and instead of receiving ten different tips I received three tips that were of same type. Granted the seller was selling a Hakko station with ten tips, never claiming that all ten were different.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
They also have a web page http://stores.thearctictrader.com On this site I found this here http://www.thearctictrader.com/Store-Policies.html
.Authentic products that sold in our store will be listed in the description as 100% Authentic Trademark Owners! Please be informed that The Arctic Trader has a very firm policy of sourcing only genuine products. If you feel any of our products violate your Trademark, Design, or Patent Rights please contact us immediately and we will instantly remove any offending listing pending further discussions.
You should perhaps in your next mail remind them about this. Also point then to this forum. And ask the to Google "artic trader hakko"

vistula

Joined Dec 20, 2009
And yet on his ebay auction he (they) state:

Any Authentic products that sold in our auction or in our store will be listed in the description as 100% Authentic
So when you read the "fine print" then you realize that everything he is selling is fake... :rolleyes:

ix912

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Here's what it says from the Arctic Trader's ebay store:

"NOTE.. Many ask if these are "Real" Hakko's..

Having lived here for years, Even though we buy from major markets fully in the view of government inspectors, we don't trust the words of any suppliers either pro or con. So we open the covers and inspect to make sure they are the quality we expect both inside and out. A good Iron must have a good quality power supply and a well-made fused circuit. The components will prove whether they are worthy regardless of what the label touts it to be... These units have all of the outward markings. But it's the quality we see on the inside which makes us feel confident that they will provide you with years of service. We also inspect and test each unit for performance prior to shipping.
We have seen many "cheep" deals out there.. But it pays to spend a little more to get quality.. And a ArcticTrader is willing to sell is good quality.. And we back it with our 30day warranty."​

LOL

vistula

Joined Dec 20, 2009
The above statement from Arctic Trader's ebay store is total BS... When I asked about the operating frequency of the unit (it has a transformer inside) the seller was puzzled. If they really opened one of Fake Hakkos they could have answered the question as the transformer was clearly labeled (as can be seen in picture I provided below).

Anyway, I complained through paypal and was asked to return the unit to the seller. So if you receive a soldering station from thearctictrader_com it may have been sold once before :rolleyes: (I am sure the lettering on the iron would be reapplied once again)...

I strongly urge people to use the paypal or similar methods to complain and not to deal outside the "system" with those guys(by system I mean following: cc chargeback, ebay or paypal). You have no guaranty that these people will deal with you honestly - after all they did sell you a fake item and do lie about how they check whether Hakko items they sell are real or not.

Attachments

Last edited:

ix912

Joined Jan 15, 2010
The seller refunded me in full and removed the ebay postings. I received a few messages from one of their representatives along with an apology stating that they were unable to verify the statements made by their supplier regarding authenticity of their Hakko products. And, I have noticed that they received some negative feedback from a few buyers. I will probably never deal with them again, but at least they offer decent service.

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
Sorry for your loss lol, I prefer Weller myself...and i use a huge PACE station at work, but i cant afford to land one of those home.

I consistently check the trash bins with fingers crossed though.:D