please pardon my extracurricular use of AAC forums

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Since joining this forum I am no longer satisfied with life. You could call it an addiction I suppose.

Reason being, until I came here, I rarely enjoyed conversing with people on or above my level, and I was fine with that. It is the norm for me to suppress the urge to talk about the things that really interest me because I know nobody will understand. Now that I have tasted the fruits of your collective wisdom, I may never find contentment again.

I may from time to time post things that don't really warrant posting, just to get a conversation out of it. Please understand that I need this, and just humor me. I have nobody in my circle of family and friends who are capable of holding a conversation that holds my interest.

You guys give me what I can't get elsewhere and I really appreciate all of you who have helped me. I look forward to our future discussions.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I will always remember,the light that turned on when you said you got
travel pay.I said to myself,people that get travel pay know there stuff.
Thanks for responding to some of my post.Some members don't really
understand me. I tell them don't touch the Loosewire...Loosewire

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm pretty much the same way. The hobby is almost an IQ test. Those who aren't interested in science, who don't dabble in pushing electrons (an old Heinlein saying), don't have a clue. By filtering out overunity wacko's and similar perversions it leaves the level headed, but allows for dreamers.

I am definitely a disbeliever in magic, but there is something magical in what electronics can do.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I understand how you feel, strantor.

Only two years ago I couldn't talk to anyone about my interests--namely electronics. Nobody I knew knew the first thing about how electricity worked, or which component was which. I was left to myself, trying to find the answers I needed on the internet. Then, when I stumbled upon a few electronics forums, it opened up a whole new door to my life. Everything changed for me, and my knowledge has increased exponentially since then. I can not thank you guys enough for helping me out when I needed it, or even just listening. It has had a great impact on my life, and for that I am truly thankful.
Der Strom

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ DerStrom8,have you been able to get employment from knowledge
gained on the Forum. Anyone else can answer that question,I took
two weeks to check out getting Involved In repairing plasma T.V.'s.
The economy is ready for the repair business,samsung has a 800
number to get a service center. Fla member's take notice and reply.

kevinarms

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Even though I'm a very new member (just joined the other day), I can understand what you guys are saying. This is actually the first forum I've ever joined, but checking for new posts has already become one of the first things I do whenever I sit down at my computer.

Reading the posts in this thread though made me wonder what kind of electronics backgrounds most of the active members in this forum have. Most people don't have very specific bio's on their profiles, so I always wonder how you guys got to know so much about this stuff - do most of you have degrees in Electrical Engineering, or have you just acquired a ton of experience from messing around with different devices/electronics?

Maybe this is a question for a new thread, but I'm asking here because it was prompted by these posts, especially since it seems like the names on this thread are ones that I've seen on almost every other thread I've looked at - so you guys must be the super experts.

I already have a bachelor's in ME, but once I decided to start a master's in EE, I became way more enthusiastic about learning as much as I could about electronics than I ever felt about most ME disciplines. But I'm just starting out so I still don't know much. I guess to a certain extent I'm very jealous of all the experts here cause I'm just waiting for the day when I'll have even just half the experience all of you seem to have.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
@ DerStrom8,have you been able to get employment from knowledge
gained on the Forum. Anyone else can answer that question,I took
two weeks to check out getting Involved In repairing plasma T.V.'s.
The economy is ready for the repair business,samsung has a 800
number to get a service center. Fla member's take notice and reply.
Hi loosewire :)
As a matter of fact, I am working in the electronics section of a large, national retail company. Information from the forums has not caused me to receive employment directly, but it has allowed me to learn more about electronics in general. So, I suppose the answer to your question is (indirectly) yes. Some knowledge gained from the forum has caused me to get employment :)
Der Strom

Dr.EMST

Joined May 31, 2011
I find that i can relate to many of the users of AAC in that it is very difficult to find people with a similar intelligence to that of myself.

Upon finding this forum I had high hopes of finding even just a couple people with that of an equal intellect to myself, but alas I have just discovered disappointment.

I am know aware that i have an superior understanding of all that has been discovered about the behaviors and properties of the current understanding of electricity. I am able to relate to great scientist and electrical pioneers such as William Stanley, Alessandro Volta, Ralphael Lee, Nikola Tesla, Gustav Kirchoff, George Simon Ohm, and George Westinghouse, in that if i want to expand my vast knowledge of electricity, I will have to look on to the undiscovered. Textbooks and internet pages no longer hold useful information for me, the course to new knowledge is discovery.

So i find myself in a bleak situation and understand that if i want to continue my investigation of electrical fundamentals, the path i must take is a lonely one.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
wow, so you went from:

I am currently apprenticing as an electric motor systems tech and I am learning about the power characteristics of three phase induction motors.
on 5/31/11, to

i have an superior understanding of all that has been discovered about the behaviors and properties of the current understanding of electricity.
on 7/4/11!

You really must be God's gift to electricity. I couldn't even learn how to ride a bike in that span of time. Maybe you could distract yourself from this glass ceiling that's keeping you down by helping out around the forums instead of asking silly questions about superconductor motors that you obviously already know the answers to. I don't have your gift and I could sure use some help; and I know I'm not alone. Until then, I look forward to hearing your name in the news.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So I wonder if any of the new folks buy into overunity, or HHO? This is a basic IQ test in and of itself. Not that discussions about them are allowed, mind, but they do give you a sense of where a person really stands.