Please ID This Component: Crystal Oscillator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Manbearpig, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Manbearpig

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 30, 2014
    I'm trying to fix a remote transmitter and think this may be the culprit; it rattles when shaken. The remote was dropped shortly before I noticed it stopped working, so that's my best guess. I fixed the remote one other time when the antenna broke off at the solder pad, and the solder joints for the crystal were broken. I've been soldering and tinkering for a long time but never worked with crystals. It looks like this one could be a 49U or UM-1 package. I searched DigiKey for a 27.147MHz crystal but couldn't find anything. How critical is it that the MHz match exactly? Do any of you have one of these you could sell? Any help is appreciated!

2. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    This is a plain crystal, not a complete oscillator, and the exact frequency is important. While lots of "standard" frequencies are available through distributors, non-standard parts like this one are very common in volume applications. ebay?

ak

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    That is a common xtal used in RC toys etc, you may be able to scrounge one off of a dud Txmtr.
    Max.

4. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    or try International Crystal, in Oklahoma City. 27.145 is one of those rc chanels between the cb channels, so isnt as plentifull as the cb crystals.

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Doubt its the Xtal,try resoldering it back on.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  7. Manbearpig

Oct 30, 2014
    I reinstalled the xtal and it still doesn't work. Here's the rest of the circuit in case you think it might be something else

xtal1.jpg xtal2.jpg

8. flat5

Nov 13, 2008
    "it rattles when shaken"
    Replace it or make a little xtal checker. (Google)
    In your second photo there is a solder blob you should remove.
    It is where you soldered the xtal.
    xtal checker1.png
    xtal checker2.png

BTW, I have found that if you place a cap in series with the hot lead going to the xtal you can often test parallel coil/cap combinations for approximate frequency.
    You do need a scope or freq. counter or radio.

9. Søren

Sep 2, 2006
    Hi,

Any Citizens Band x-tal ch. 1..40 will be less than 1% off and as such, will have next to no impact on range in an IR remote control transmitter.

10. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    Since it rattles it is probably bad, so why not open it up? Do you have a Dremel tool and a cut off wheel? It may just be a broken connection that is fixable.

Lundwall_Paul likes this.
  11. Manbearpig

Oct 30, 2014
    I contacted International Crystal MFG and they asked if I knew the load capacitance or had the schematic. Since I knew/had neither, they had an engineer look at the circuit pictures and their best guess would be 20pf. Then I would need to decide on whether it is fundamental or 3OT; any ideas?

I'll dremel mine open when I get some time

12. Lundwall_Paul

Oct 18, 2011
  13. Manbearpig

Oct 30, 2014
    Yup, it's broken. I can't find any exact matches, the closest is 27.145. ICM could make one but it's pricy and may not be the correct load capacitance. Looks like I should just buy a new remote. Thanks for the help!

crystal.jpg

14. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Admittedly rare - but they do sometimes fail.

There's various crystal checker schematics floating about the web - usually one or 2 transistors and a small handful of resistors, capacitors etc.

15. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Loading capacitors could be your salvation - if a standard crystal is cheap enough, try pulling its frequency by using 1 or 2 preferred values lower loading caps.

16. flat5

Nov 13, 2008
    Try super glue.

17. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    April 1st is over.

18. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The crystal is broken.
    There is no way of mending it.
    The superglue will not work, as the resonance is dependend on the size and thickness of the crystal.

Bertus

19. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    There was a documentary about early home computers, there were several firms that offered their computers in kit form.

One recounted an occasion of a kit returned under warrantly to find out why it didn't work - it had been assembled perfectly, neatly and accurately - with polystyrene cement instead of solder!

20. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That's a new one. Should go in the "Soldering for Dummies" instruction book.