Please help

ahmed_abdu

Joined Jun 26, 2007
Dear all
i am starting a thermostat and fan controller design..so i need an LCD which can be used for my design..I want an LCD which is suited for such applications so it has ready symbols for the application common symbols such as the degree centigrade symbol and the fan symbol..also i want it with attractive appearance.i'll be grateful for your help.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
As you add in custom features to a display you get into the area of proprietary units, meaning a company will spend money to get a display exactly as they want it, and since they paid the money they own the design, so you can't get them as parts. So you will not find a nice fan symbol on a display (and if you do you can't move it).

Common alphanumeric displays do not have a fan symbol, and personally I do not like the appearance of the degree symbol. You can create up to 8 custom characters, though it may take 2 (or more) characters to make your fan symbol.

Graphic displays allow (demand really) you to make any shape or symbol you wish, though this means also making the shapes for each and every letter too. They can be quite attractive and are almost comparable in cost to fixed alphanumeric displays.

ahmed_abdu

Joined Jun 26, 2007
great thanks for your help but you can find -for example- LCDs for elevators with elevators symbols.why can't i find such ones for my application?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
great thanks for your help but you can find -for example- LCDs for elevators with elevators symbols.why can't i find such ones for my application?
Because they are created custom for that application. Can you imagine all of the different types of displays you have seen with these special combinations?

How would a company selling such displays be able to make any money? They would sell very few of each type. They would not be able to sell to those companies that have special needs for displays because those companies are having them created for them EXACTLY as they want them. A generic display of that type would most likely not work.

Sometimes manufactures use the same display for a variety of products. You might have a product with an LCD display that you can see a faint image of a symbol that has never been displayed. This is because it might no longer be used in the product, or it is for a better version of the product with more options or for another product entirely. Just imagine how hard it would be for a company to use a generic display with those additional requirements.

So it really just wouldn't pay to manufacture such displays.

And please use a capital letter at the start of your sentences and period at the end. It makes your posts much easier to read. Also you should pick something better than "Please Help" for your subject lines. Your subject line is meant to get your thread noticed. If someone does not have a lot of time to help people, a good subject line might get them to read your post if it interests them.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
LCD are a poor choice of display for an elevator. LCD is mainly for low power consumption.

An elevator is very expensive, so display cost doesn't matter. An elevator is also cansuming a huge amount of power, so it does not require a display with low power consumption.

A glowing display is a much better functioning display and can be made with many different technologies, so you would not choose LCD.