Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by seanno, Sep 11, 2010.

1. seanno

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi people, i am needing to convert 50dc volts to 12dc and at the mo im stumped. Would any one know how to do this an easy way or be able to give me a list of materials i can get to do it and where to get them, any help would be greatly received.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    What is your output current requirement, or wattage requirement?

3. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Also, how much current is available from the 50v source.

4. seanno

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks gents, i am moving in to an apartment and the power will not be on for another 2 weeks but the phone line is working. A friend of mine uses his phone line to charge his batteries so i was hoping to connect an inverter to the line till i get the power on, i know this might not be strictly a right thing to do but i have a child and i need to get some sort of power and i cant use a generator there. So there you have it but i cannot give you any more technical info because i really am not sure myself but i hoping you might have a better idea what i need know?

5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    The phone line will give you maybe one amp (1A) at BEST, and your neighbors will probably get mad if you try drawing much current from it because it will mess with the whole areas phone service.

You might be able to charge some NiCad or NiMH batteries but not something amp hungry like lead acid.

A low voltage inverter will draw 20-200 amps for use as an AC power source. NO WAY you can get that from a phone line.

A deep cycle twelve volt (80-150 AmpHr) will power a small inverter for things like a television(small one) or a laptop, but forget running an air conditioner or microwave oven.

You are limited to lights and small(very small) appliances and then you will need a day or three to recharge the 12 volt deep cycle battery just to get another hour or two worth of use from it.

A case of trying to fill a bathtube with a medicine dropper is what we have here.

Sorry I don't have any good news for your situation

seanno likes this.
  6. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Another thing is if you draw current through that line it just turns it into a busy signal and if you draw enough from it the switch at the phone company's CO will consider it as a short on the line, it will disconnect itself and they'll send someone out to investigate.

seanno likes this.
  7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    The telephone company is not an electrical power provider.

If your phone system load is more than perhaps 10mA, they will disconnect your line until the power drain is corrected.

Then you will be without a telephone as well as electrical power.

You need to find an alternative. Perhaps a neighbor will allow you to plug in a heavy-duty extension cord to one of their outlets for a couple of weeks in exchange for some money.

seanno likes this.
  8. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Besides phone lines are low current supply.
    Anything higher than a few miliamps will load the line by a wide margin.
    it's petty much useless for power conversion