Please help with two decade counters

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Hi to all the members,
I want to use 2 decade counters (cd4017) to drive 20 led's. I don't have a schematic so far to show you because i first want to know the details.Do i take the carry out from ic1 straight to the clock input of ic2, or do i need to use a nand gate to invert the output signal. The next question is, after i connect ic1 with ic2, what do i do with the reset pin of ic1.Do i still take it to ground. I want the 20 led's to count from 1-20
If it's possible for anyone to show me a schematic how exactly to do this, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks for your help

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Bill, i know how to use the cd4017 in a single stage with 10 led's. Thought, i have my own cmos data book. The data sheet show me how to use more than one cd4017 in one diagram, but it's for a 8 decoded outputs I want to use two cd4017 ic's with 20 outputs, if it's possible and then i want you to show me what output of the first ic go to clock of the next ic
I visit your page more times than you can think. there's a lot of grate stuff. Many thanks for all the afford you put into that site. I learned mush more about the lm555 timer on your site than i learned ever before.

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I am not sure you can cascade 2 4017's to get 20 separate outputs, since when the 4017 is reset output 0 will always be high on both IC's, so on power up you will always have atleast 2 LED's lit..... and to cascade 2 of the 4017's you will not get the sequence you want since you will have to clock the first IC 11 times before the second one will increment..... so at most you will be able to connect 18 LED's to 2 4017's and figure out a way to stop the clock input to the first one when clocking the second IC and vise-versa...

B. Morse

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
BMorse, many thanks for the help. What you said is just what i wanted to hear, and that was if can or cannot do it the way i wanted to do it. I'm gonna use the diagram in the thread Bertus show me.
Thanks again for all the help guys.