Please help...wiring a motor to a DPDT switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by JRA, Mar 15, 2009.

1. JRA

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Hello to all. I hope this is the correct forum in which to post this question and I apologize for the very long first post.

I am trying to replace a shorted motor in a tire changing machine. The replacement motor is slightly different than the original motor that came with the machine so I can't just wire it up like the original. It is a dual capacitor motor with a run capacitor and a start capacitor.

I actually took it to a local motor shop but they didn't hook it up right and I really need to get this thing running asap. When I installed the motor after getting it back from the shop the switch was wired backwards. It turned counter clockwise when it should have turned clockwise and vice-versa. Also, the start capacitor wasn't wired correctly because it didn't have any power on start up. I could hold the turntable on the machine and it wouldn't turn. The motor would hum, but if I let go of the table it would begin turning. Once turning it seemed to have full power.

Originally the U1 and V1 terminals, and the Z2 and U2 terminals were hooked together with circuit connector ( two little pieces of metal that jumped the terminals). The motor shop removed and discarded them.

This picture is how I received the motor back from the motor shop.
    [​IMG]

The next picture is my two hand drawn diagrams. In the top diagram I'm just showing the terminal block for clarity, and the bottom is how the motor shop had the motor wired.
    [​IMG]

The third picture is how the motor was wired when I originally received it (I jumped the terminals with wire in place of the discarded terminal connectors). I have unhooked the switch wires as you can see.
    [​IMG]

This next picture is the wiring diagram on the inside of the motor cover.
    [​IMG]

This picture is of one of the capacitors (they are both identical)
    [​IMG]

I desperately need help in getting this thing wired properly. I am completely ignorant of symbols and terminology so if somebody can help me please explain as if you were talking to your child.:D

I need to know how to determine which switch wires should go to which terminals, and exactly how to hook the capacitors up.

I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I am not sure which part of the wiring is the problem. Assuming it is the DPDT switch (your forth picture), here is how to wire it as reversing using the wire letters shown:

[​IMG]

In one position, V1 connects to U1 and Z2 connects to U2; in the other position, Z2 connects to U1 and U2 connects to V1. The six circles represent the six pins on the bottom of a DPDT switch. Orient the switch so CW and CCW make sense to you.

John

3. JRA

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Got it fixed. Thanks!!!:D