Please help to understand attached circuit!!!

paddy611

Joined Oct 9, 2012
Hi,

Please have a look on attached circuit.

This circuit is used to detect the gas concentration and depending on concentration it will generate 4-20 mA output.

I want to know the working of this circuit. Please help me out.

Thanks,
paddy

Attachments

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Complicated OpAmp circuit. These are used to amplify the signal from the sensor. In the first stage there is also a JFET.

If you want to understand the circuit, learn OpAmp technology.

No need unless you specialize on sensors.

Maybe someone here is willing to produce a detailed explanation.

Do you need to modify it or something?

paddy611

Joined Oct 9, 2012
I have to design a gas detector which gives 4-20 mA output according to gas concentration.

For that purpose i am trying to understand that circuit.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Do you have a datasheet of the two sensor elements?

What is the value of R3 and R6 supposed to be?

Vref is probably at 2.5V.
IC is an inverting amplifier, gain can be adjusted with RP1.
IC4 is an inverting amp also, gain 1. You can choose to use it or not with the jumper LK3.

IC5 looks like an power amplifier (with TR2) with adjustable offset through RP2.

What is connected to PL1? It can't be a simple voltage source. Looks like this circuit is changing the power supply input current through TR2 depending on the state of the two sensors...

You need to know what is connected to PL1 and what are the specs of the 2 sensors. This is not a complete circuit diagram.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
SN1 is the toxic sensor.
SN2 is oxygen sensor.
IC2 subtracts the two readings to compensate for the effects of O2 on the toxic gas sensor.
IC1 is the gain amplifier as well as a low-pass filter. It removes high frequency noise.
Gain is controlled by adjusting RP1.
IC4 is a unity gain inverting amplifier that is used only with NO2 and Cl2 sensors.
ZD1 is a 2.5V voltage reference.
RP2 is the offset adjustment to set the output current to 4mA with 0% toxic gas input.
IC5 is a voltage to current converter and TR2 is the 4-20mA current driver.
PL1 is the connection to the current loop output. The load is usually a resistive load in the 4-20mA current receiver. The maximum resistance depends on the power supply voltage. For example, at 24VDC the load resistance must not exceed 825Ω.
In this circuit, power is supplied by the 4-20mA current loop receiver.

Last edited:

paddy611

Joined Oct 9, 2012
Thank you very much praondevou and MrChips.

I will check out it's results.

Just one thing i have to ask to MrChips is how you calculate load resistance of 825E for 24V supply??

Thanks

paddy611

Joined Oct 9, 2012