Please help, simple? Toggle switch setup for 2 micro floodlight LEDs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dan290110, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Dan290110

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    I thought this would be easier than it turned out, 2 hours of faffing and all I've managed to do is burn out a fuse, electrocute myself and burn 1/3 of the original wire length.

I bought some small LEDs for my motorbike as I thought they would be an easy task to fit and wire.
    they came with full instructions ..... Apparently
    All they show is how to mount them and not how to wire them up ... Let alone with a separately purchased toggle switch.

I used a 3 pin switch but only used 2 of said pins, one as a pos and one as a neg, i directly fed a wire from the battery (12v) attached to 2x pos through the same linkup and soldered in place, and did the same for the neg. The LEDs worked fine when the switch was on but the second I turn it off it fries the black wire.
    I then moved the red wire and attached it to the opposite side of the fuse and it blew the second I turned the switch off but worked perfectly when the switch was on.

What is going on, it works perfectly when the circuit isn't broken but the second the switch is flicked it totally and I mean totally fries a wire.

2. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    An on-off switch has only 2-pins and is connected in series between the battery and the load.

You connected the 3-pins switch so when it is turned off then the third pin shorts the battery.
    Don't connect the third pin to anything.

3. Dan290110

Oct 22, 2012
    I didn't attach anything to the 3rd pin

4. Dan290110

Oct 22, 2012
    In circuit it goes ... Battery - switch black - LEDs - switch red - battery

5. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Then you connected the switch parallel to the battery.
    When the switch is turned off then it does nothing and the LEDs light.
    But when the switch is turned on then it shorts the battery and shorts the LEDs.

The switch is supposed to be [b[in series[/b], not parallel.

What limits the current in the LEDs?

6. Dan290110

Oct 22, 2012
    Not a clue, I'm new to all the wiring and circuit business...
    The box they came in says they're for 12v batteries and thats about all I know...
    Theyre not a self made thing they're bought so I don't know if there's anything resisting or limiting.
    How would I go about putting the, in series rather than parallel?

7. Dan290110

Oct 22, 2012
    Think I've just figured out what I've done wrong..
    Instead of being battery - switch in + x2 black - LEDs - switch out x2 red - battery
    Shouldn't it be:
    Battery - x1 black - switch in - switch out - x2 black - LEDs - x2 red - battery?

8. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Yes. Now the switch is in series with the battery and the load.