Please help me to test Power Mosfet f3710s

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by UnnamedUser159, Oct 3, 2016.

1. UnnamedUser159

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2016
    It should be that
    http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/204873/IRF/IRF3710SPBF.html

The problem is...
    I make a short between G and S and measure Ohms in Auto Mode and see infinity in both directions. Usually when i test mosfet i see infinity in one direction and 12-13-14 M Ohms in the other. Is that normal?

I dont see N or P and dont know what to give on Grand to make the transistor unstopped(this word i find in google translate).

Thanks in advance

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    That's an N channel. See the little arrow pointing towards the gate? A P-channel symbol shows an arrow pointing away from the gate.

I'm not sure I understand your test. Which pins are your test leads on? There should not be resistance from Source to Drain, since the body diode will conduct.

I would not attach any significance to resistance measurements above 10MΩ. That could be just about anything.

3. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    Depending on the meter circuitry, there may not be enough voltage to turn on the body diode on the ohms ranges.

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    If the meter has a diode test range then you should measured a very high resistance in one direction and one diode drop voltage in the other.

5. UnnamedUser159

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2016
    I use multimeter MS8217

What i know about mosfet testing
    short G S and measure D S resistance in both directions(Ohms mode)
    then going unstopped with + on G(if N) and - on S with 9V battery
    Then the same measure - D and S. Will have almost 0 - 0.0000 the most cases

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    With Vgate = Vsource, the MOSFET can only conduct from S--->D via the body diode. This should show up as a voltage drop using the diode testing mode of your meter, and probably a low ohms value using the ohmmeter. It will not conduct D-->S.

With Vgate = 9V versus Vsource at 0V, the MOSFET will conduct in either direction with very low resistance, usually in the mΩ range.

7. UnnamedUser159

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2016
    Can something from these 3 be an option for replacement ?

8. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Not even close. The original is rated to 57A and 100V.