please help : IR remote for PC

wenn

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hi, i am currently to a project which require me to do some electronic circuit. I have a simple infra remote control (Future Kit 410), to see the circuit visit, http://www.futurekit.com/basic_elec/FK410E-56.pdf .
I am suppose to connect the reciever with a USB port in order to connect to the computer. When the transmitter button is press, it have to send a signal to the computer tp trigger a VB program. I have no idea how i can connect the USB port to the reciever, neither i know how to send the signal to the computer. please help if you know. thanks.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
You will need a uC with usb to do this. A usb Arduino is probably the simplest solution. It sounds like you may be in a bit over you head. Why are you doing this? Why VB?

rickmartin

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Using a USB interface board that runs on VB code, such as this one, will allow you to tie USB to you VB program. Since this board accepts inputs, you can interface it to a simple IR receiver. Work smarter, not harder :D

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Using a USB interface board that runs on VB code, such as this one, will allow you to tie USB to you VB program. Since this board accepts inputs, you can interface it to a simple IR receiver. Work smarter, not harder :D
Arduino is a more common board and generally cheaper too. Also has more smarts to, for example, decode the ir signal from an Ir remote control.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009

Why not just use a RS232 to USB converter module (You can find them all over the internet >> http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-4&cats=199&catid=199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601 ) this will be seen as a comm port on the PC (Use MSComm control in VB and set the commport # to match the one for the USB converter) then just connect your 12 volt source to the PC PSU to power the receiver (yellow is +12, black is Ground), disconnect the AC lines coming in and out of the unit, and where it shows 220 in connect this to the DTR (pin 4 of DB9) (Enable DTR or Data Terminal Ready on your MSComm control in VB), then connect where it says 220 out to the DCD/CD (pin 1 of DB9) (Data Carrier Detect) , when you connect the receiver this way, you will trigger an event in the MSComm control from there you can do what you want when there is a CD signal or when the signal is cut off (when relay opens)...

Really simple, no need to program any uc to do any work, real cheap and quick to get signal from usb to VB...

Last edited:

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Why not just use a RS232 to USB converter module (You can find them all over the internet >> http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-4&cats=199&catid=199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601 ) this will be seen as a comm port on the PC (Use MSComm control in VB and set the commport # to match the one for the USB converter) then just connect your 12 volt source to the PC PSU to power the receiver (yellow is +12, black is Ground), disconnect the AC lines coming in and out of the unit, and where it shows 220 in connect this to the DTR (pin 4 of DB9) (Enable DTR or Data Terminal Ready on your MSComm control in VB), then connect where it says 220 out to the DCD/CD (pin 1 of DB9) (Data Carrier Detect) , when you connect the receiver this way, you will trigger an event in the MSComm control from there you can do what you want when there is a CD signal or when the signal is cut off (when relay opens)...

Really simple, no need to program any uc to do any work, real cheap and quick to get signal from usb to VB...

This may work, but again is not very "smart". Your transmitter does not send serial data, you are just triggering a vb event. So you only have 2 states, event or no event. Any ir event ( probably a 38 khz pulse ) will trigger you circuit. So for example if you use an IR remote control you circuit will not be able to tell on from off.

With the Audrino there are even standard libaries for serial comm between it and the PC. ( the pc side in processing, and {you do the research } VB )

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
This may work, but again is not very "smart". Your transmitter does not send serial data, you are just triggering a vb event. So you only have 2 states, event or no event. Any ir event ( probably a 38 khz pulse ) will trigger you circuit. So for example if you use an IR remote control you circuit will not be able to tell on from off.

With the Audrino there are even standard libaries for serial comm between it and the PC. ( the pc side in processing, and {you do the research } VB )
Does anyone actually "READ" peoples post? Did you even bother to look at his attached pdf file to see his device? He has a premade IR TX/RX boards. The RX Module has a Relay contact output.

He wants to connect a relay output of an IR receiver board, the receiver board and transmitter probably has some decoding function already built into it., Whats there to decode?? His receiver will only give him a go no go setup with a relay, either contacts open or contacts closed.... unless he removes the IR receiver module from the board and decides to decipher the modulated signal then that would be different. But can still be done with RS232..... as long as he knows what info or data is in the modulated signal.

Why an Arduino? why not a Pic16F84A or something similar?

Why not go for something better if you want to make it overkill, something better than Arduino? with more support for newbies??

>>>>

If you have used a UBW or Arduino before and are frustrated by the lack of CPU power, lack of memory, lack of I/O pins, or lack of sophisticated software, the UBW32 is just what you are looking for! While only slightly more expensive than the 8-bit UBW, the UBW32 has significantly more I/O and CPU horsepower.

The UBW32 is also a very good stand-alone development platform for the USBPIC32 chip. It contains a simple to use USB bootloader so that you can write your own code and download it to the board without any additional programmer, tools, or software. If you need low-level debugging, you can also attach an ICD2/ICD3 or other PIC debugger.

The PIC32 chip is capable of doing USB OTG, USB Mass Store, USB Virtual Com Port and USB Host roles. There is a footprint on the bottom of the board for a USB connector that will allow you to plug any USB device into the UBW32. There is a jumper that allows you to power the VBUS 5V USB wire if you program your UBW32 to be a USB Host.<<<<

Last edited:

wenn

Joined Sep 30, 2009
i got a 4pin USB port, which is

Pin 1 - Vcc +5(vBus)
Pin 2 - Data - (D-)
Pin 3 - Data + (D+)
Pin4 - GND (ground)

anyone know how can i connect it to that infra remote? or is it i still require the usb mircochip or something else??

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009

Pin 1 - Vcc +5(vBus)
Pin 2 - Data - (D-)
Pin 3 - Data + (D+)
Pin4 - GND (ground)

anyone know how can i connect it to that infra remote? or is it i still require the usb mircochip or something else??

for the kit you show in your first post, there is no other way to get input from that board only through the relay contacts it provides....

Unless you want to remove the IR receiver from the board and use that, but the transmitter will still only give you 2 possible outputs since it was only designed to toggle the relays output on or off....

There is no way to connect that IR receiver to the USB directly, if you want to use usb to get an on/off signal from the relay, then that would be overkill for a PIC or AVR... If you are trying to use the remote for more than an on/off signal, I suggest you look for a more advanced kit than what you have to accomplish that.

My .02

P.S.
I attached a circuit to show how to connect the receiver from the kit you show to the serial port.... then get a Serial to USB adapter to connect it to a USB port if you must.....

Attachments

wenn

Joined Sep 30, 2009
so i should use RS232, serial port instead of usb port?
anyway, can u recommand me any software or program to test if the computer detect the signal? I will try using your the diagram u show me, but i not sure how to check if the computer can detect anything.
Should i use com port? or is there better software?
Actually i need to use the signal detect to trigger a progerm in VB(actually to send out a message), do you have any idea how can i do that?

Seriously thanks for your help =)

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009

Pin 1 - Vcc +5(vBus)
Pin 2 - Data - (D-)
Pin 3 - Data + (D+)
Pin4 - GND (ground)

Depends on who's advice you take. See above. To get the data stream from you device connect just after the IR reciever module. It is probably a 38 khz demodulator. This is where you can decoded the data to determine what IR button has been pressed. Then you would need a uC (an Arduino has pleanty of power to do this see: http://www.opencircuits.com/Microcontrollers_for_Beginners). From your comments I think you are a beginner and would be better off taking the approach of BMorse who may know what he is talking about. But I suspect you have the wrong usb port. What I think he suggested ( do not want to take the time to read his post ) is a usb to rs232 adapter/cable. If that is it here is one for 3 bucks: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24512

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
so i should use RS232, serial port instead of usb port?
anyway, can u recommand me any software or program to test if the computer detect the signal? I will try using your the diagram u show me, but i not sure how to check if the computer can detect anything.
Should i use com port? or is there better software?
Actually i need to use the signal detect to trigger a progerm in VB(actually to send out a message), do you have any idea how can i do that?

Seriously thanks for your help =)

Ok, here is some sample code written in VB6, all you have to do is wire up an interface to the Serial port like I showed in the schematic.... then run the code, open up the right commport you have the device connected to.

when you receive a signal (relay closes) the red circle on the screen will turn green, when you lose the signal (relay opens) the shape will turn red.

I hope this helps......

Attachments

wenn

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Ok, here is some sample code written in VB6, all you have to do is wire up an interface to the Serial port like I showed in the schematic.... then run the code, open up the right commport you have the device connected to.

when you receive a signal (relay closes) the red circle on the screen will turn green, when you lose the signal (relay opens) the shape will turn red.

I hope this helps......

I cant open the IR test folder, what program does it require? Or is there any other program i can use?

wenn

Joined Sep 30, 2009
i got another question. if the usb port detect power supply from my remote circuit, does it mean i can use it as a signal to trigger a VB program?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
i got another question. if the usb port detect power supply from my remote circuit, does it mean i can use it as a signal to trigger a VB program?

Look if you really want to use USB, buy a Serial to USB converter and plug the circuit I already gave you to it, then you can connect the darn thing to a USB....

Plus, your receiver runs on 12 volts dc, the USB only runs on 5 volt around 500ma. If you connect that to your circuit it will most likely not work and possibly damage your USB port.

You really want to use a USB remote spend some money and buy a HTPC remote for your PC, then you can use that to run any application you want!!

wenn

Joined Sep 30, 2009
then any one know any coding for detecting signal at comport?
I need a program that work like this, when the comport detect the signal a sms need to be send out(by the gsm modem).