please give answer of this question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jasvinder chhabra, Jul 12, 2016.

  1. jasvinder chhabra

    Thread Starter New Member

    Oct 3, 2014
    1
    0
    which is more dangerous and why AC or DC?
    which gives shock to you AC or DC?
     
  2. wayneh

    Expert

    Sep 9, 2010
    12,103
    3,038
    Both dangerous and both will shock you. AC tends to be detectable at a lower voltage than DC.
     
  3. crutschow

    Expert

    Mar 14, 2008
    13,003
    3,232
    AC is generally more dangerous because it can cause fibrillation of your heart if the AC current passes through the chest (a few mA of current can do that).
    DC does not generally cause fibrillation (a large DC pulse is actually generated by defibrillators to restart a heart).

    But either AC or DC can give you a nasty feeling shock if the voltage is high enough.
    Anyone who's ever accidentally touched the HV B+ DC in a old tube amplifier can attest to that, as well as anyone who's ever contacted the main's voltage.
    Both of those occurrences will remind you to never do that again. :eek:
     
  4. MaxHeadRoom

    Expert

    Jul 18, 2013
    10,526
    2,369
    ....And as in your case Mains voltage being 230vac, it needs extra precautions, I have had a couple of experiences with 240vac and NOT pleasant.
    (Assuming South Asia from your name).
    Max.
     
  5. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,278
    6,791
    I have been firmly connected to 450VDC and 120 VAC. Both events were from one hand to the other, across my heart. In both cases, my brain was blanked for some small amount of time and when I resumed being able to think, I had serious difficulty commanding some muscles to move so I could get loose from the current. Which is more dangerous? Neither one. They would both be fatal if they were a bit more severe than what actually happened to me.
     
  6. BR-549

    Well-Known Member

    Sep 22, 2013
    1,982
    388
    Nobody licks transistor batteries any more?
     
  7. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,278
    6,791
    Yebbut, where you gonna get an AC battery so you can judge the difference?:D
     
  8. atferrari

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jan 6, 2004
    2,648
    762
    with 9V batteries, a salty taste and kind of a flash leaving me blind very briefly. I was a kid and had no idea of what that battery was.
     
  9. BR-549

    Well-Known Member

    Sep 22, 2013
    1,982
    388
    I always got a hard metal taste with the shock.
     
  10. paulktreg

    Distinguished Member

    Jun 2, 2008
    611
    120
    Modern defibrillators are biphasic and could be loosely described as AC?
     
  11. crutschow

    Expert

    Mar 14, 2008
    13,003
    3,232
    Loosely.
    But it's of a frequency and amplitude such as to reset (reboot?) the heart and restart the normal sinus rhythm.
    They probably use a bipolar pulse since one polarity may be better at reseting the heart than the other so they do both.

    The AC line frequency is such that it interferes with the sinus rhythm, causing instability (fibrillation).
    (It's interesting that the heart beat is only conditionally stable and can become unstable from the right interference voltage or trauma, such as a heart attack. Kind of scary if you think about it. :eek:)
     
  12. #12

    Expert

    Nov 30, 2010
    16,278
    6,791
    It's working
    ...so far.:D

    But yeah, it's scary how many ways you can stop a heart.
     
Loading...