PLC interface with a micro controller

Val90

Joined Nov 5, 2012
Hello everyone,

im looking for some advice im doing a project for school automating the process for feeding more than 2 dogs 2 times a day. I first planed build it on a PLC system, then i learnt that a full PLC project will only get me a "C" so i decide to use a micro-controller. I meet another problem here were we have not learnt that amount of micro-controller programming so i was thinking of using both PLC and micro-controller.

how i vision it to operate is

a digital timer sets time for dog to get food
this controls a relay to operate as a switch
relay used for input to plc
plc opens kennel gate(for dog to **** and pee outside, lawn ) also sends a signal to a micro-controller
the micro-controller process is simple,output to motor relay to start motor to drop food in a measuring cup with a level sensor, (Sensor can be moved up or down to vary amount of food)when sensor level goes high it stops motor then a signal goes to a relay for a 90degree servo at the bottom of the cup which moves and food falls in bowl

there is a 90% chance that when the food falls in the bowl the dog will return to kennel
when dog reenters the kennel it sends infrared sensors high and then closes gate
when kennel is closed a signal goes back to the plc to go to the other kennel then the same process repeats again till the amount of kennels installed is finished
after the last kennel gate closes a valve opens for water to flow to fill separate bowls for 1-2min its ok for over flow.
then process ends till next preset time .

is this type of operation PLC to micro-controller and micro-controller to plc possible ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
All this can easily be done with a Pic micro, if its just high and low input signals any non A/D pic can do it, if your looking at variable signals then an Ato D pic is required.

Pic choices would be 16F690, 16F877A, 16F628A

Plc can be done also, choices are plenty..

Last edited:

Val90

Joined Nov 5, 2012
Thanks for your relpy Dodgydave.

i never really used much microcontrollers but i would read the datasheet to understand

there is just one concern, it looks like this will work perfect for one system (one kennel food,gate, water) but i wanted more than one system. For example when one system finishes then the second one will start, unless i use more than one pic for each system and when one process finishes it signals the next to start....

Is there any simulators to program and test ? before i go and buy and build ?

Val90

Joined Nov 5, 2012
hey guys i decided to use the pic 16F877A

my only problem is i cant seem to find any demo program with push buttons ,led's and delays online, which could help me, which i could then modify to work to how i would like.

I would really appreciate any help given here

Thanks guys