PLC help ASAP please

mystang50

Joined Jun 26, 2012
ok need some help on a bouns plc question...quick lol

desgin a system that will controll two traffic lights, one for control of north/south traffic and onre for east/west traffic. each direction has a red, green and yellow light. the system shall operate in the following manner:
N/S red E/W green 45 sec
N/S red E/W yellow 5 sec
N/S red E/W red 1 sec
N/S greem E/W red 45 sec
N/S yellow E/W red 5 sec
N/S red E/W red 1 sec
Repeate: N/S red E/W green 45 sec
program is allen bradly SLC RSlogic 500....

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I was being facetious. I gave you the answer to your last homework question because I didn't realize it was a homework question. I failed to observe what forum I was in, and it sounded like you were an industry guy who needed help with an actual conveyor system.

The way things work around here, is for homework help, you're supposed to show what you've done, and what parts you are having trouble with. Handing out complete answers on a silver platter is frowned upon. If you show what steps you've taken, I would be happy to guide you in the right direction.

mystang50

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I was being facetious. I gave you the answer to your last homework question because I didn't realize it was a homework question. I failed to observe what forum I was in, and it sounded like you were an industry guy who needed help with an actual conveyor system.

The way things work around here, is for homework help, you're supposed to show what you've done, and what parts you are having trouble with. Handing out complete answers on a silver platter is frowned upon. If you show what steps you've taken, I would be happy to guide you in the right direction.
oh ok i understand , i was just looking for some help with this because i am struggling in it :confused:

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
The proper way to do this is to use a State Machine. It is the way most industrial control is done. It can easily be done in PLC ladder logic. In fact many PLC manufacturers have "state relays" as part of their programming to make this fairly simple. Probably best to Google or look at the instructions for your PLC program.

Basically, in your case, each state will switch the lights to a certain pattern and then start a timer. When the timer finishes it moves to the next state where the same thing happens again. Your state machine will simply rotate around in an endless loop. More sophisticated state machines jump to different states depending on digital inputs.

Start you design by drawing a collection of boxes. One to represent each state. In each box draw the pattern of lights and a time value. Then draw arrows between each box to show how they move round. Each box can then be programmed as a section of ladder logic (set/reset outputs) and a timer. Master "state" contacts control which section is currently operating.

Bogdann

Joined Jul 31, 2012
What do you need exactly? ladder?
I have made traffic lite, Red,Green,Blue (HMI only). You will simply need to add ladder code that will reset 1st one when 2nd is green, or add +1 timer that will control this net, if i can call it so :p.

I have this for Unitronics but if you need pure example of 1 traffic light so you can get to know what should be the formation of the timers i can send you this.

edit: just saw the topic above, this should be the way to go :p