Playing CoD: MF2 and Got to Thinking...

franklinmknight

Joined Jan 3, 2010
For those of you who've played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 you know about the automatic sentry gun. For those of you who haven't played, it's basically an auto-targeting minigun used to guard or protect an area. It's takes down the enemy without firing at the team which deployed it.

The whole point of me telling you this is to ask this... What if? I don't believe technology like this exists currently, atleast not without being remote controlled. I assume it would work by maybe sensing an identifier chip (RFID?) in the friendly soldiers body.

I just figured I'd open this up for discussion because I like conversing on topics such as this.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Love COD the ww2 series. Saw friend play Modern warfare 1.

A gun like that sounds dangerous. Okay it takes out the enemy and doesn't touch the friendlies because of chips. What about civilians? Stray dogs? Any living thing that movies without these chips.

Remember computers cant think for themselves. They do what we tell them.

I think this belongs more in the off topic forum though. But its interesting.

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
Lots of people have made them before (using airsoft or paintball of course), right now the most advanced ones use computer vision to track targets. Google for automatic turret and you will see some examples. Of course those vision ones can't tell a friendly apart from an enemy..

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Getting pretty close with todays technology....
although this one still requires an operator to "OK" the target before it fires......

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
What a powerful hi-tec weapon that can be disabled with something as lo-tec as mud.

I can see the insurgents throwing mud balls at the lenses like grenades...oh, yeah...

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Even paintballs could disable it. But it would be tough to get to. You would have to send your worst suicide-bomber student to draw its fire so you could throw the mud. ;)