Plato's noble lie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JoeJester, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeJester

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I found this paper by a couple of professors titled "Ethical Defense
    of Global-Warming Skepticism." It was an interesting read.

2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    The following graph is reconstructed from the most recent and comprehensive measures of historical temperature since the last ice age. The data was collected from 73 separate ice and sediment cores across the globe. In contrast to the previous article, the graph shows that the recent rise is definitely not insignificant. In fact, global temperature is rising faster now than any time in the last 11,300 years. The study was published in the Journal of Science. source: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...e-that-made-civilization-possible/?mobile=nc##

3. JoeJester

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Nice graph. Why was there global warming for that first period of the graph? How much was human induced?

and for a comparative graph ...

[​IMG]

Looks like the predictions are "overly generous". Probably followed Al Gore's recommendation ...

4. monster_catfish

Mar 17, 2011
    Compelling data has been presented by both sides of the global warming argument, so I guess it will ultimately boil down to the weather extremes that planet Earth's inhabitants see and feel, over the coming years.

Either way, we're all pretty much along for the ride on this one, regardless of whether global warming is in fact real, and is resultant from human activity, or is just the manifestation of an eons-long cyclic variation in climate.

5. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    [​IMG]

Improved 1995 predictions for the most accurate GHG emmission senario. Observed data is average of NASA GISS, NAOA NCDC and HadCRUT4. When temperature is compared against the model that used the most accurate GHG emmissions senario, the predictions are extreemly accurate.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What is the time constant of geological trends on planet Earth?

7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Yes, we are affecting the temperature, mainly in a positive way for humans because cooling would be much worse than moderate warming. We are still in the last ice age at the end of a warming cycle of 11,000 years so natural trends point to cooling without external forcing. I'm not a skeptic but it's clear we don't have a clear understanding of the whole process of global temperature change.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/16/us-climate-slowdown-idUSBRE93F0AJ20130416

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Having concrete scientific evidence may help to win an argument but I base my personal belief system on three points:

1) My gut feeling tells me you cannot keep dumping crap around you and expect to live in it.

2) I look around me and I can see visible evidence that things are going from bad to worse.

3) I know that with globally long time constants and massive inertia, by the time the scientific evidence becomes convincing it is too late to turn back, the damage has been done and it's game over.

9. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    If there is one trait that defines humans and nature in general, it's adaptation for survival. It's the only thing that surpasses our capability for self destruction. I love living at this time in history as the potential for good and bad seems to be increasing exponentially. Perhaps we are just a dead end in this current evolutionary cycle and millions of years later the new humans will be tapping the oil from the residue of the current population.

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    To repeat a well used axiom: Prevention is always better than the cure.

In today's world of delving into the unknown it would be prudent to apply the Precautionary Principle.

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I rest assured that millions of years later if the human race survives we will not be tapping oil from anywhere.

12. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Oh come one, you're posting a "hockey stick" chart called "Carbon pollution set to end ero of stable climate"?

All the recent hockey stick harts have already been debunked, and your chart has particularly low credibility, ie its name is a conclusion, its name refers to factors (carbon, eras) not displayed in the chart, which is just a temperature chart.

Note there is a very UN-scientific "projection"! The blue data (which has also been debunked) shows all charted points (the entire data set) below 1'F. Then someone has added a moronic "projection" going up to 8.5'F! What the?? Didn't the chart maker even get as far as high school statistics class?

And your source "Science and ClimateProgress.org" is FAR from any kind of unbiased source of data. It's a propaganda site.

shortbus likes this.
  13. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    For some reason, global warming gets you really hot under the collar.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.