Plasma TV Capacitors....

frontstmaui

Joined Dec 26, 2012
Easy Question? IDK. I have used the search function in here and read a few threads but it appears to me that the general knowledge level of the grou re: electronics makes me feel like a 1st grader and I didn't consider my self a shmuck.:D:D

OK. Question. Dis-assembled the rear of my Plasma tv and found the power board. I have been told a bad capacitor will have a rounded or domed top from the overheated insides pushing out. My tv works fine after "Warming Up" for 10 minutes and I was told to check the Caps. All of the caps on all of the boards look OK. How can I tell out of several caps on the power board, which is the one that is going bad? Schematics? Is their one that Tends to be bad. I really don't care to repair them all.

I am 90% certin this is the power board...

frontstmaui

Joined Dec 26, 2012
Yes, I am a newb and this thread is prolly beneath 98% of you but any help is appreciated... got the thing dismembered in my living room. Have the tools and all the various capacitors I need to replace... Just need to figure out which one!

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
If its not obvious then you have 2 choices, 1 replace the lot, 2 use an ESR meter to check the capacitors.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Yes, the caps will swell if heated enough. Look also for some variety of goop under the cap, which might indicate that the cap may have just heated enough to eject some electrolyte out the pin-ends rubber plug.

Last edited: