PLA's and programming functions

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hunterage2000, Mar 9, 2013.

1. hunterage2000

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2010
    Hi, Can someone tell me how a PLA is programmed? Goggling it doesn't bring up much info. I have looked at the PAL16L8 and its datasheet but it doesn't mention anything about programmers and programming.
  2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Modern Programmable Logic Devices are programmed via manufacture's software and hardware programmers. For example, Altera parovides the Byte Blaster, USB Blaster, etc, and software to download configuration files through the programmer to the device. There are other methods. Most vendors provide JTAG hardware and software interfaces for programming.

Your old PAL requires special hardware which might not be easy to find. I think that is 70's or 80's technology
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    For a PAL you need a special GAL programmer. These are still available, the cheapest cost you $40, normal are $70 to $100.
    Expensive one can cost $500 and even much more.

However PAL/GAL are obsolete and largely no longer made. Lattice stopped making them a few years ago.

The smallest Altera CPLD is a TQFP44 and costs about $1.50- can replace all these PAL/GAL chips.

Is using ICSP however, kind of, not called ICSP but also serial. The programmer costs you $10 to $20.