PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit 3.

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by MattQ87, Apr 5, 2011.

1. MattQ87

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    So, first off, I'm very new to PIC Programming, and PICs in general. Anyhow, when I use my PICkit 3 programmer to connect to a PIC18F87J60, I get the following message:

PICkit 3 detected
    Connecting to PICkit 3...
    Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.33
    Firmware type......................PIC18F
    Downloading AP...
    AP download complete
    Running self test...
    Self test completed
    Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.33
    Firmware type......................PIC18FJ
    PICkit 3 Connected.
    PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit

I have power going to the circuit, with the example of how I hooked it up included. Thanks, like I said, I'm new to this, so I'm sure it's something really dumb that I've forgotten. Thanks!

Matt

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    With a PICKIT 3 you can supply voltage to the target via PICKIT 3. But you must manualy turn this on in MPLAB. If the target(the MCU under programming) has no power the PICKIT 3 will not be able to detect it. In toolbar in MPLAB se under the Programmer menue.

3. MattQ87

Apr 5, 2011
    Okay, when I switch it to be powered by the PICkit, I get the error:

Target Device ID (00000000) does not match expected Device
    ID (00001f60).

I've already checked the connections under a microscope, but I may as well try to resolder everything.

UPDATE:

reflowed the chip, still getting the same error... Hmm.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Probably a bad chip. Do you have any others? Maybe a dip that you can breadboard?

5. ugonkwocha

Feb 15, 2010
    Hello everyone, I'm new to PICs as well and I have a new Explorer16 Board with a PICKit 3 and I get the same error like quoted above. I've swapped the dsPIC33f chip and the PIC24 chips that come with the board and its still the same error. Please any help on resolving the PIckit 3 issue will be appreciated. Thanks

6. MattQ87

Apr 5, 2011
    Alright, so I noticed one super obvious mistake in my layout. I left off the decoupling capacitors. Is it possible that this would result in the chip returning a null ID value? Or would it return an incorrect value?

7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    If you are operating at a fairly low frequency, I would doubt that is your problem. I have used pics for testing purposes at 1mhz with no caps and no problems