Pittsburgh GPS

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You sort of need to live in Pittsburgh to understand. Gopher will like this.

http://dve.iheart.com/media/play/22055826/
Before I bought my GPS, without the Pittsburgh plug-in, all I remember being told for driving instructions was...
"Yinz go 'dawn tahn then take the parkway...'". (Translation: "you head towards downtown and then merge into a second interstate...")

For those unaware, Pittsburghers are known as "Yinzers". "Yinz" is used in Pittsburgh like "y'all" is used down south.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Before I bought my GPS, without the Pittsburgh plug-in, all I remember being told for driving instructions was...
"Yinz go 'dawn tahn then take the parkway...'". (Translation: "you head towards downtown and then merge into a second interstate...")

For those unaware, Pittsburghers are known as "Yinzers". "Yinz" is used in Pittsburgh like "y'all" is used down south.
For clarification, I think you mean you were getting instructions from a local?

You also forgot to mention the part where they would tell you directions by were something "used to be". People in Pittsburgh like to use "use to be" in their directions.

Only people from Pittsburgh know what the Parkway is. There is the Parkway West (south west of the city) and the Parkway West (west of the city, they got that one right at least). Officially it is Interstate 376. To add to the confusion, there is now the Parkway north which is Interstate 379. ;)

For even more confusion:
The "Parkway West" is officially named The Penn Lincoln Parkway.
The "Parkway East" Pittsburgh - Buffalo Highway. Most Pittsburghers would not know this. And I have no idea why it is called that since it goes no where near Buffalo.
The "Parkway North" is actually the Parkway North (believe it or not).