PIR sensor to 7-8 volt DC motor?

Gershwin

Joined Jul 15, 2011
Hi everyone,

I would like to make a garden ornament that turns on when someone gets near to it. The sensor will power a small 7-8 volt DC motor. A PIR (i think thats what you call them) I have seen has 2 adjusters, one is for sensitivity and the other is for duration, this would be perfect except it says it will only put out 5 volts and thats not enough. I have searched for a PIR that can put out more voltage but cannot find anything.

Can someone advise me on what I will need to purchase and how I put together without trying to explain it with a schematic i.e. I need it to be explained in the simplest of terms as my knowledge of this stuff is virtually none existent.

If someone could advise me I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Your 5 volt output can be used to turn a transistor switch off or on.
The Switch will control the voltage to your motor.

Gershwin

Joined Jul 15, 2011
Read some forums and looked on Youtube and all I see is a mass of wires and electronics. It appears as though it is a lot more complicated than I first thought. I thought I could just buy something to replace a simple on/off switch to turn the motor on when motion is detected. Would of been great for my project but I guess I'll just stick to an on/off switch, to complicated for me and looks a mess having all them wires.