Pipeline.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Is that all you had to say?
Did any other thoughts cross your mind when you saw this?

If I created a new thread for everything I have not heard of, I could use up a lot of Forum space. :)

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well I consider pumping just over a million gallons a minute roughly 112 miles to refill an inland sea rather impressive engineering!:cool:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well transfering then.

You try making rational thoughts and typing while a 6 year old girl tells you about her day in kindergarden in ways that make no rational or logical order. :p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Fair enough. :)
I merely wonder about all that extra salt from the ocean water. I mean, it's already called, "dead" because it has too many dissolved solids to sustain life. What's the point of refilling it? To make a bigger salt flat in a thousand years? More shore line to rent to tourists? This seems like shipping rock dust to the Moon. It's already entirely coated with rock dust. :confused:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The pumps are needed for de-salting and supplying water to a couple of million Jordanians. The fall to the Dead Sea will generate power.

The increase of the sea level is to stabilize to area around the sea. Not to restore sea life.

Another pipeline is considered from the Med....across Israel to the sea.

This is all in the article. I thought it quite impressive.

I didn't mean to waste resources and cause distress.

Sorry.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The pumps are needed for de-salting and supplying water to a couple of million Jordanians. The fall to the Dead Sea will generate power.
That's a good point. Any calculations about how long this will work before the Dead Sea isn't far enough below sea level to make this work?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That's a good point. Any calculations about how long this will work before the Dead Sea isn't far enough below sea level to make this work?
Plus, all that extra water from the Med will probably decrease its salt concentration... probably making it more hospitable for life.... It's alive!... ALIVE!!! :eek:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Given the huge volume and surface area and overall hot dry climate natural evaporation plus local additional usages that will likely arise once it does start refilling I have doubts that it will ever fill up too far.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Makes sense. They're adding salt and some water to the dead sea after extracting some fresh water and some energy.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Plus, all that extra water from the Med will probably decrease its salt concentration... probably making it more hospitable for life.... It's alive!... ALIVE!!! :eek:
The Med would be closer but force stronger than money is forcing them to a more expensive option - the Red Sea.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Grand designs: the multinational proposal is to build a 180-kilometre pipeline engineered to carry up to two billion cubic metres of seawater per year from the Gulf of Aqaba on the Red Sea through Jordanian territory to the Red Sea. Why not cut out the middle man? Why do you need a pipeline through Jordan to move water from the Red Sea to the Red Sea?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Grand designs: the multinational proposal is to build a 180-kilometre pipeline engineered to carry up to two billion cubic metres of seawater per year from the Gulf of Aqaba on the Red Sea through Jordanian territory to the Red Sea. Why not cut out the middle man? Why do you need a pipeline through Jordan to move water from the Red Sea to the Red Sea?
Gotta mitigate AGW-caused sea level rise somehow, no?