Pioneer car stereo mod

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by recnepswilliams, Apr 5, 2010.

1. recnepswilliams

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Hi everyone. i'm new to circuitry, and i want to run an auxiliary input into the back of my 1992 pioneer dual knob super tuner 3 stereo in my car. I already have the wires soldered into the back of the cassette head reader, left right and their common ground wire. when i switch the play switch underneath the cassette reader it plays from my auxiliary input (my mp3 player) but it is very crackly and distorted. also it is extremely loud. I think that it may be because the cassette tape didn't originally put power into the wires going into the reader, but my mp3 player does put power into it, it does sound a little better as i turn it down.

do any of you have ideas on what i may need to do? i know it can be done, i just don't know how to do everything, i want this old stereo in my car because it is a 1980 el camino and i don't want to wreck the dashboard putting a new head unit in, and i want to make it look like a mid 90s hotrod on the inside because i grew up with those. so buying another stereo is not something i want to do. I also want to hook a subwoofer up, so i don't want to use an fm transmitter. Any help will be greatly appreciated! thank you for taking the time to read this

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The connections at the tapehead are made for milivolts.
    The MP3 player will probably give several 100's of milivolts.

Do you have the schematic of the radio?
    What is the type number of the radio?

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. recnepswilliams

Apr 5, 2010
    unfortunately no, i don't have the schematics, but it is a pioneer keh 6969.

thank you for your reply, what you're saying about millivolts makes sense from what i've read on other sites

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

A better place to inject the signal from the MP3 player will be at the input of the volume regulator (potmeter).
    The level over there will probably be between 500 and 1000 milivolts.
    You will probably find some capacitors near the potmeter.

Greetings,
    Bertus

5. recnepswilliams

Apr 5, 2010
    how can i use a voltage tester to see where the wires would hook into the potmeter?

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

A potentiometer has 3 pins:
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_5/chpt_9/3.html

For a volume regulation one side is connected to ground.
    The other side has the incoming signal.
    The taper has the "volume controlled" signal.

For stereo the potentiometer is build in "double deck".
    These two are simultaniously controlled.

The ground pin you could probably measure with an ohm meter.

Greetings,
    Bertus