Pinout of PS/2 connector

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Yes, I am showing the terminals that are soldered to the PCB. I used them to solder wires going to the breadboard to develope software to communicate with an optical mouse. See my post on my micro conversant with PS/2 somewhere in this forum.

Peter_England

Joined Jun 29, 2013
Please help ps2 keyboard not working on Intel DG31PR motherboard, keyboard is fine and connector Jack is also fine on motherboard. How to troubleshoot this problem?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I would see if the expected signal from the keyboard to PC comes OK but before anything else I would swap it with another one to see if it is also not working. This trick basically allows to discard keyboard or PC (which includes connector).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
So what's the problem?
In fact problems. Lack of money, age, boring life, being alone...

I am not native in English but it seems a little bit agresive, albeit I could be wrong. It's you who's asking for help, querido Pedro...

Read the specs for the PS/2 protocol and see if the initialization comes out straight or not.

I could eventually post an image of what the mouse sends the first time but I should reassemble the breadboard for that. Not sure how much different the keyboard would be.

Maybe you simply could check if there is any reponse at all.

My experience: timing means a lot here.

As per your post in other thread, 3 off 400 seems that something went off limits.

Being able to communicate a micro with an optical mouse does not make me an expert.

Buena suerte.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Peter,

I am aware that you asked about keyboards so, for what is worth for you, this afternoon I reassembled the necessary to read the optical mouse and took three pictures. If it is not obvious: red is CLK and yellow is DATA.

Their name show the command sent by the PC and the mouse's response.(You will see the name when you save them in your PC).

Finally I hooked a known working keyboard and that is what I got every time +V was applied to it (4th picture).

Sorry I cannot go any further. Have another project in progress.

If a have time I will post a PDF with a realistic timing diagram, if you are still interested, that could help you to decipher the captures. Just in case, keep in mind that LSB go first.

The beauty of a scope allowing to capture non recurrent signals. :)

Buena suerte.

Attachments

Wow that's great thanks for giving your time. this is definitely good information. Thanks again and whenever your work finished post the pdf file, thanks again.