Pigs in human ancestery?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I thought this was funny. Even if it is true I suspect even proponents of evolution will find it hard to swallow due to the emotional factor.

A chimp-pig hybrid origin for humans?

Funny thing, I read a short sci-fi story on exactly this premise over 20 years ago.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
No more ridiculous than us descending directly from Chimps, in my opinion :p

...But that's a topic reserved for a different forum. ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The moderators had a discussion about the topic, since it was postponed for a long time to the point that it caused some misunderstandings with members.

This is the outcome:
Any scientific theories regarding the origins of the human species are welcome to be discussed in AAC, in the General Science subforum. AAC is a site that promotes science and all of its expressions, even though we are mostly focused in electronics.
As long as a theory has scientific basis, is well founded and comes with references, it is has its place in this subforum.

On the other hand, any explanation on the origins of man given by religions constitutes a religious topic and thus isn't allowed to be discussed in AAC. We do not want to offend anyone for his religious beliefs nor make a fool out of him for thinking different.

However, we cannot hold back our support for science, when it seemingly contradicts religion. These are two different things and should not be put in the same place. We deal with the first, we leave the latter up to you to judge.

Understand the separating line and do not cross it.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
However, we cannot hold back our support for science, when it seemingly contradicts religion. These are two different things and should not be put in the same place. We deal with the first, we leave the latter up to you to judge.
Sometimes science is opposed to the current religious belief. The Catholic Church believed that the world was flat. Galileo had a different idea.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Yes, we all understand that. This is why I clarified that we will discuss all scientific opinions (not cons or naive approaches) but we will not allow for religious opinions to be expressed here. There are other places for than, AAC is not one of them.

We will not have debates of science vs. religion.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
As long as we are talking science again...

No more ridiculous than us descending directly from Chimps, in my opinion
Evolutionary theory doesn't hold that humans descended from chimps. That's a common misconception. Champanzis are the closest relative to humans and have a recent common ancistery. Current theory holds that the common ancistor would be similar to the meercat.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Right now, as I understand it, the big debate is whether two very dissimilar species can produce viable off spring. To the best of my knowledge this has not happened, though a liger comes to mind. Since tigers and lions are both felines I tend to not count them.

It is a bit of a reach to have two species mate and produce fertile offspring, but just because we (humans) have never seen it does not mean it can not happen. Just for the record, I believe this story to be funny but not all that likely.

It is important to note though, most new theories are thoroughly rejected by mainstream science when first proposed. Plate tectonics comes to mind here. It is almost a truism you have to wait for the old guard to die off and the new guard of scientists to take over for a radical theory to gain traction.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
As long as we are talking science again...

Evolutionary theory doesn't hold that humans descended from chimps. That's a common misconception. Champanzis are the closest relative to humans and have a recent common ancistery. Current theory holds that the common ancistor would be similar to the meercat.
Very interesting, I had never heard that. Do you have links or articles about it? I'd be interested to read them!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You might start with "The Origin Of Species" by Darwin.

Seriously though, there are lots of articles and papers available. I also recommend "Evolution" from the Discovery Channel. The series might be available at your local library, or from Netfilx.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Right now, as I understand it, the big debate is whether two very dissimilar species can produce viable off spring.
I didn't realize that's a big debate. Mainline thinking is that evolution is a slow process, and comes from small changes in organisms that gives the organism some advantage for survival and reproduction.

I saw something lately that some specie cross breeding produces fertile offspring, contrary to what I understood. I don't really think this will become a major part of evolutionary thinking however. If there is a pig-man, that doesn't necessarily mean a pig-ish and man-ish species were bred. Actually, man and pig are very similar in many ways. If we trace back our evolutionary family tree, we'll probably find some commonality.