Piggybacking DIP Chips

innominata

Joined Jul 25, 2009
Is there any reason not to piggyback multiple DIP chips on top of each other, bending the non common pins to the side to wire?
Reason is, I need to use 12 Analog switches INSIDE a guitar, where space is VERY limited ;)
I can 'maybe' cram them all in if I custom make a PCB where they are all in very close proximity, but it would be more compact and easier (seeing I dont have any etch) If I could just stack them on top of each other

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can do it but if the chips dissipate a significant amount of heat then the cooling won't be good. Also, the pins of the chips are thin and you may cut them if you bend them. You can use surface mount chips on a PCB which are much smaller then DIP chips.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
You can stack them or build them the way you want but only on chips which doesnt have a heatsink or Tab. If it is a chip like CD4000 series or 7400 series, you can do it.

Also keep in mind that you will be able to bend the pin only once. Once you straighten it, dont try to bend it again. Some chips will be able to bend many times, but why take risks ?

Check at www.beam-wiki.org to see circuits built like that to save space. And the second option would be Surface Mount Device in PLCC package as suggested by mik3