piggyback a current source on a tesla coil

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by DaisyDukem, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DaisyDukem

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Hi,

I am trying to figure out if this will work. I have a 20kV tesla coil and 10A current source. The tesla coil is not the hand held version, but a benchtop with 2 terminals coming out like a voltage source.

How can I make it so that they both feed a load with full voltage of the tesla coil and full amps of the current source?

I have a circuit in mind like the one below. I have 20 diodes for protection rated at 20kV and 2A each. They are in a combination network of series and parallel so the resulting protection is 40kV/20A.

I assume if I turn this on then 10A will flow through the circuit and blow the tesla coil since it is rated for minimal current, so I would need diode protection on the back side as well?

Alternatively does the current source need high voltage protection?

Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. DigitalReaper

Aug 7, 2010
    You'll need a current source capable of putting out the same as or higher voltage than your tesla coil so you're looking at a minimum of 20kv at 10A, or 200kw.

3. DaisyDukem

Aug 8, 2012
    Hmm not what I wanted to hear :(. So there is no way to add them together without the other component being rated for the other?

What will happen if I turn it on as it sits right now? Will the current source fry?

4. DigitalReaper

Aug 7, 2010
    Unless the current source can withstand 20kv applied to its terminals, yes, it will fry.

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  6. DaisyDukem

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks for the link. Some interesting info in there so I will have to read the whole thing.

Are MOT’s AC or DC output? I’m guessing they’re AC so if I’m looking for DC where should I be looking? Looking for something 1-40kV, 5-100A (the higher the better). Welding transformers?