Piezoelectricity generator for mobile charging

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by So Man Kit, Sep 1, 2016.

1. So Man Kit

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Hi, I did a lot of research about the charging technic using piezoelectic energy from vibration. However, I need to do a project of it and I do not know how I can choose a suitable piezoelectic element for the project and design the protection circuit of it.

Expected type of piezoelectric element : polymer(because I want to scavenge the vibration energy.)
    Circuit design : Can I use other IC such as liner regulator or Battery management IC for the project?

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    So Man Kit likes this.
  3. So Man Kit

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Would you suggest me to buy a piezoelectic produc from other companies such as Sparkfun? And then give a deep development of it?

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    What is the vibration source? Unless it is a high power one I think you'll be disappointed as to how long it would take to charge a phone battery. Start by finding out the vibration power and doing the maths.

5. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    What is it that you want to achieve?

6. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Do some reading on their application and overall energy outputs.

You will likely change your mind rather quickly when you see you would need a piezoelectric element the size of king size bedsheet flying like a flag in a 30 MPH wind to generate enough power to charge a typical cell phone at a reasonable rate. :(

7. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    This reminds me of the Self-Winding watches of several decades ago. What a convenience, we thought, but of course you had to rotate you wrist continuously for a minute or two every day. Where are the self-winding watches today?

8. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    The watches have made a comeback, especially refurb older models, and several men's gifts catalogs have watch-winding stands. You put your watch on it at night, and it is fully wound in the morning. Variable speed of oscillation, timer to prevent over-winding, larger models to wind several watches at once, $$$.

ak

9. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    One UK supermarket was going on about energy harvesting by paving their car park with piezo tiles.

AFAIK: the idea sank without trace - I never heard anymore about it.

There is such thing as a piezo transformer - but I think its more of a signal thing for high voltage isolation. There are various such devices like opto-couplers with the LED & PD separated by a length of fibre-optic cable.

There may be piezo transformers to isolate and supply LP devices, but charging a mobile could take a while.

10. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I had one as a kid and if a person carried on in a normal level of activity in a day the thing worked great. However for a person who sat on their butt all the time they were known to be pretty useless. (likely much like the wearer)

Alec_t likes this.
  11. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    A couple of years ago there were stories about piezo generators under the floor of the entrance to a shopping mall. Again, no mention since, but that seemed like a more reasonable starting point.

ak