piezoelectric vibrator

paquari

Joined Jul 20, 2013
Hi there - I'm imagining a project, but my electronics knowledge is full of holes (music major). I'll try to explain my problem; hopefully I don't look too ignorant.

I'm trying to create a rudimentary haptic device. Basically, my software oscillator will be outputting an amplitude modulated low-frequency signal -- a vibration profile. Like this. So it will be coming out of my audio interface at something like line level. But, as I understand it, you obviously have to condition/amplify that signal to be able to drive whatever vibrator you're using.

So, based on its low profile and fast response time (which helps my project), I was going to just get a simple single-layer piezoelectric disk. Great, so I've got a signal, and I've got a vibrator. I just need to make sure I'm sending out the resonant frequency of the piezoelectric disk, and I need to make sure the signal gets amplified the right way to drive the disk. Right?

Two problems: 1) There are some indications it's not that simple. What seems like a simple amp/circuit problem to ignorant me costs about $1000 when I actually found an amp for this purpose. 2) Even if it was as simple as making a little amp, I don't know how to build that circuit.

Am I heading in the right direction here? Thanks

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
So, based on its low profile and fast response time (which helps my project), I was going to just get a simple single-layer piezoelectric disk. Great, so I've got a signal, and I've got a vibrator. I just need to make sure I'm sending out the resonant frequency of the piezoelectric disk, and I need to make sure the signal gets amplified the right way to drive the disk. Right?

Two problems: 1) There are some indications it's not that simple. What seems like a simple amp/circuit problem to ignorant me costs about $1000 when I actually found an amp for this purpose. 2) Even if it was as simple as making a little amp, I don't know how to build that circuit.

Am I heading in the right direction here? Thanks
In response to 1). The amp circuit is a little more than the op-amp you found. Looking at "Motor / Motion / Ignition Controllers & Drivers Piezo Haptic Driver", the amplifier boost the voltage to at least 50Vpp to drive the piezoelectric disc. As to the price, you were probably looking at a package of at least 500 pieces. The item above at Mouser is $4.62.