Piezo resistive sensor in Verasense ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by poculis, Jun 9, 2015.

1. poculis

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 9, 2015
  2. BrandyKrier

Jun 9, 2015
    YES! The device is from OrthoSensor, a company based out of Dania Beach, FL (near the Fort Lauderdale airport). You can see all about it at www.OrthoSensor.com. OrthoSensor’s VERASENSE Sensor-Assisted TKA disposable instrument delivers evidence-based data wirelessly to an intra-operative monitor that enables surgeons to make informed decisions on ligament/soft tissue balance and implant position in real time. As a result, patients whose knees have been balanced through the use of VERASENSE show statistically significant improvements in joint function, pain, activity level and patient satisfaction. You can reach out to the company directly at info@orthosensor.com for more information. Thanks!

3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Piezo sensors generate a very small current at a very small voltage when bent, twisted, squeezed, or otherwise deformed. The website says absolutely nothing about their technology, but since this is inserted between the upper and lower halves of a knee, it is safe to assume that it is a pressure sensor. It gives feedback about the pressures at some number of locations, and the positions of the knee parts are adjusted until the pressures are "better" before the parts are permanently attached to the bones. IMHO.

ak

4. poculis

Jun 9, 2015
    You are right, I should have start with this. However not sure they'll explain me the technology inside their jewel, I'll give a try :)

5. poculis

Jun 9, 2015
    Good details, thanks.

How many locations do you think they have to be as precise in positioning ?
    Is it the same technology that give them position and force ?
    Could they have positioned only 3 strain gauges at each extremity of the 2 triangles being the 2 active parts of the sensor to get the job done ?
    Do you think they can have precise force and positioning all along the triangles ?