PID DC motor controller project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gehan_s, Feb 18, 2013.

1. gehan_s

Thread Starter Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi all,

For my final year project I wanted to do a PID temperature control unit but some other guy beat me to it so now he is doing it. My lecturers suggested me that I do a PID DC motor control trainer panel (one can be used to simulate PID motor control in a lab).

I would like your input on this so I can improve this idea. But what I would really like is my project to have an industrial use. Can you all please help me with your valuable input.

Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    gehan_s likes this.
  3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    You could create a device that allows the user to attach a motor and use 3 potentiometers to set the P, I, and D values to control the motor's speed. This would be applicable to industrial applications in that the control parameters for a PID controller can be determined outside the end application.

If you really want to go in depth, you could also allow the user to set the sampling frequency, calculate the %overshoot/undershoot, rise time, settling time, etc. Possibly even take data from the tests and create a model of the motor from it, for use in a simulator. Variable loads may also be desirable...

4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    you could make a fan controller to keep a device (engine, power supply, etc) at the optimal operating temperature. That is, instead of simply measuring temperature and making the fan go faster as the temperature increases, a good controller would never allow the temperature of the target to increase over a given set point (or try really hard not to let it increase over the set point).

To do this, you would have to be able to measure the load on the engine ( or the fuel feed rate) to determine that the engine is working hard and more cooling would be necessary. Over-cooling some engines decreases efficiency so you wouldn't want to over cool. For example, GMC trucks (USA) have an electrically triggered "visco-clutch that can engage/disengage the fan. This allows the fan to only work when it needs to work to keep fuel consumption under control. It also engages at varying degrees (Fan RPM vs. engine RPM) depending on how far it is from the target temperature and engine load. Essentially a psudo-PID controller on a chip that is too small to be a real PID controller (a look-up table is likely used instead of real-time multiplication for proportional control or to assign co-efficients to weigh importance of P, I and D factors)).

Instead of fan just turning on with a thermostat, the controller would sense the current draw from the

5. gehan_s

Thread Starter Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Thank you all for replying !!!!!!!!!

I went through some DC motor control devices and have some ideas and questions.

I thought of a device that can control motor speed of DC motors that has a range of supply voltages. The device will have an encoder input that can detect the motor speed as well as a 4-20mA current loop input so that the motor can be used to control other processes (eg - flow rate). PID autotune function. Plotting the speed vs time on a LCD screen or on the PC.

These are some of my ideas. I do not know whether they are useful, doable, easy or hard. I would verymuch like your input.

Regards.