Pictures worth a thousand words

ha ha! those last two are a riot! i don't know what the one with the cat and the mouse means, and then the last one is so obvious unless someone is color blind.

It reminds me of a company i worked at recently, where we had a color blind person making the connections from a sensor board to the sensor package!

He had to deal with those light blue, blue stripes, green stripes, brown stripes, red stripes, etc, and they all looked like different colors to him!

I was NOT the project manager on that one! Let me just say that I don't think it would be improper discrimination to make sure that someone hooking up color-coded cables is NOT color blind!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Years ago ,I thought I would confound a burglar with a sign
( CAUTION-- FALLING BULLETS) Years later the T.V. news
announced that the police stay uncover for the few minutes
after New Years eve because falling bullets can kill you.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
To laugh at the orange cable label is to be shortsighted enough (pun intended) to forget there are people in the world that are color blind.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
To laugh at the orange cable label is to be shortsighted enough (pun intended) to forget there are people in the world that are color blind.
It would make more sense not to label it "orange cable" but "video cable", "data cable", or whatever the cable actually does. I think that's the best part, how obvious and useless the information is.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
tom66, the only reason to label a cable like that is for colour blind people it's that simple. It's perfectly rational and more than likley the true reason the tag being on there.
In bulk wiring situations you wouldn't have cables marked 'video/data' cable, it doesn't work like that and there's a good reason. Specifications can change and it's easier to use colored or numbered wires and then cite the specification for the actual function.

I'm sorry that one particular picture just isn't funny, there's too much that's perfectly logical about it.

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
Personally I always dealt with either functionally labeled or serially numbered cables... color coding runs out fast.
There's also less language variation between numbers as there is with letters so the tag could be smaller ;)

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Industry doesn't agree though Ghar, every single last UTP communication cable you'll ever find in the real world will be color coded. Do a Google image search for communication cable. Obviously most of them don't have labels but for a larger cable the tag for word identification probably cost a penny to add to the cable, just one of those random 'value added' things that some companies do, like USB cable ends that glow when connected, the smd resistor and led for those probably cost the company an extra dime.

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
Industry doesn't agree though Ghar, every single last UTP communication cable you'll ever find in the real world will be color coded. Do a Google image search for communication cable. Obviously most of them don't have labels but for a larger cable the tag for word identification probably cost a penny to add to the cable, just one of those random 'value added' things that some companies do, like USB cable ends that glow when connected, the smd resistor and led for those probably cost the company an extra dime.
Well yeah, in an actual cable labels are sort of impossible for all sorts of reasons, one being that you manufacture a several thousand foot spool of cable for general usage.

When you get into a single cable with more than a dozen conductors the colors often repeat. One cable that gave me trouble recently was a 15-conductor cable which had only 3 different colors. While terminating it the tech must've blinked and swapped a wire. It's still better than no color but it's awfully limited, I would never rely on it for interconnecting systems.

I've done industrial ethernet/coax/phone installation before, every cable (which had color coded UTP inside of course) needed a unique serial number as they were strung across a multi floor building with hundreds of cables entering a single room.

That 'orange cable' tag is a system level label, not an individual wire identifier.
In that picture you can also see that they labeled at least two cables as 'orange cable'... the only information it's providing is that 'this is cable variety A' for a color blind person, though you can tell that by feeling the thing or just looking at it, I'd say its fiber. Since they did put a massive tag they could've made it say what the thing is and where it goes.

Edit:
Annnd I didn't read nsaspook's post until now. That does justify the tag since the cable variety is an important piece of information and the cables would look/feel identical otherwise (aside from fine print on the jacket I suppose). I haven't worked enough with fiber to run into the variations.

Last edited: