Picture this...

Yeah, I also have a love for photography. Mostly biota and also coins and the microworld...

Talk about engineering - this guy is impressively designed.
sIMG_9039.jpg

c IMG_8477.jpg

Was very happy with this until I saw the little guy on is nose
c IMG_8422.jpg

CP IMG_7473.jpg

sIMG_9105s2.jpg

sIMG_8929.jpg

I have always been an admirer of this classic style of female form
C10 1911 IMG_7304.jpg

Pure silver and very reactive - the toning is considered desirable by collectors
c IMG_1218.jpg

These (two denominations) are the only US intaglia engraving
R_00028.jpg

Proofs, with their mirror surface, can be a nightmare to photograph, but when it works, it's pretty.
Ike P2214961.jpg

Last edited:
Do you use a very fast shutter speed, a very steady hand or a tripod?
Basically, I use the "persistent blind squirrel approach". I know I am just an amateur photo-patzer, but I don't care, I enjoy it enough and I try to get better.

For coins and electronics components, I use a light board, a copy stand, several lights and even, on occasion, a light tent. These are all scrapped together parts - nothing expensive but I think that they make a big difference. I have even used an Arduino (blatant self-serving plug here)

For outdoors, I never use a tripod, but I do sometimes use a monopod and it does help. But, if you are trying to capture a very delicate flower and there is a even a little bit of wind, you are screwed no matter how steady you are. I am told not use higher ISO setting unless you have to. On this one, I *should* have had a much higher ISO but it is easy for me to forget to check things in a quick instant.
cIMG_7919a.jpg

On this one I screwed up even though I had all the time in the world and must have taken 20-30 shots - just was so excited that I didn't bother to bracket some F values and it should have been much higher to get her front legs in focus.
cIMG_5410a.jpg

Even when I manage one I am pretty happy about like this one - I have the exposure right, I have real nice bokeh, the subject matter is pleasing (" a couple of finch buddies"). Eventually, I start picking it apart...*sigh* photo OCD I guess :)
CP IMG_7403.jpg

But I tell you, there are some really great photographers out there. I don't know if you guys have seen this one - I think it was a NatGeo winner or something, but I think it is awesome. Takes a moment to comprehend what you are looking at here . Incredible shot I think.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Basically, I use the "persistent blind squirrel approach". I know I am just an amateur photo-patzer, but I don't care, I enjoy it enough and I try to get better.

For coins and electronics components, I use a light board, a copy stand, several lights and even, on occasion, a light tent. These are all scrapped together parts - nothing expensive but I think that they make a big difference. I have even used an Arduino (blatant self-serving plug here)

For outdoors, I never use a tripod, but I do sometimes use a monopod and it does help. But, if you are trying to capture a very delicate flower and there is a even a little bit of wind, you are screwed no matter how steady you are. I am told not use higher ISO setting unless you have to. On this one, I *should* have had a much higher ISO but it is easy for me to forget to check things in a quick instant.
View attachment 123832

On this one I screwed up even though I had all the time in the world and must have taken 20-30 shots - just was so excited that I didn't bother to bracket some F values and it should have been much higher to get her front legs in focus.
View attachment 123833

Even when I manage one I am pretty happy about like this one - I have the exposure right, I have real nice bokeh, the subject matter is pleasing (" a couple of finch buddies"). Eventually, I start picking it apart...*sigh* photo OCD I guess :)
View attachment 123834

But I tell you, there are some really great photographers out there. I don't know if you guys have seen this one - I think it was a NatGeo winner or something, but I think it is awesome. Takes a moment to comprehend what you are looking at here . Incredible shot I think.
That Flash Freeze Photo technique looks rather interesting. And apparently quite easy to implement for an amateur. Thanks for sharing!