Pico Scope Comparison

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Tom Wilson, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Tom Wilson

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Hello AAC Community,

This is my first post as a member of your forum and it's regarding a choice between PC-based digital scopes. Firstly, do any of you have experience with Pico-Scopes? Are there any other competitive brands worth checking out?

A bit about the context of my work, I've recently graduated with an MSc in a Audio Systems/Computer interface design. However, the contract I've ended up landing is working with Embedded Systems for the production of Audio Effects. My question is, which digital scope would you recommend? I need to measure SPI signals (at the very least) and the Arm Cortex-M based devices that I'm currently working with are clocked around the 120MHz range. I had narrowed my scope choices down to two picoscopes, both of which have MSO (mixed signal) functionality so that I can simultaneously monitor my audio I/O and SPI control signals:

The Picoscope 2205 MSO:

The Picoscope 3203D MSO:

I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on whether I will notice much difference between the two scopes working at audio frequency.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated, as I mentioned I come from more of a programming background, and need some advice on Mixed Signal Design.

Kind Regards,