Pico fuse substitute???

Gauzz

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Hello, need some help please? I was wondering if I can substitute a 1A pico fuse for a 2A pico fuse or for a 0 Ohm resistor?

The reason is that I can't find a 1A pico fuse and the guys at the store told me I could use the 0 Ohm resistor instead. If you had to decide between both wich would you use?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The fuse is there for a reason. Why would the manufacturer include it without a purpose? A fuse is about 100x more expensive than a resistor.

Do not replace it with a zero ohm resistor. Try and find a 1A fuse. If that's not possible replace it with a fuse less than 1A, but not too much less, i.e. 900mA would probably be okay, 800mA would be pushing it, and 700mA would probably be too little.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you need the fuse to protect a circuit, use a fuse. A jumper simply guarantees that a problem will cause all the damage the power supply will permit.

What is the application?

Gauzz

Joined Jan 5, 2011
It's for a scanner (inverter) for a mutifunctional Epson printer.

The probelm is that I can't find a store that has one and the guys at the other store didn't even know what a pico fuse was :confused:

So I was thinking a 2A picofuse is a lot better than a 0ohm resistor.

Gauzz

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Thanks but just check this lol :D

MERCHANDISE TOTAL: $0.40 (USD)

SHIPPING CHARGE: $100.00 :eek:

That's for one fuse at mouser.com. I think I'll stay with westfloridacomponents.com for now.

The order is within USA but after that it ships to my country so Aeropost charges me 6 dollars + taxes and other stuff. But it's still a good deal since Epson's repair center was charging me $160 for the repair.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Since we don't know what country you're in how can we recommend a supplier? There are quite a few out there.

Shipping to me would probably be $1 via Post or $4 via UPS. (they put everything in boxes, not envelopes)

Gauzz

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Since we don't know what country you're in how can we recommend a supplier? There are quite a few out there.

Shipping to me would probably be $1 via Post or $4 via UPS. (they put everything in boxes, not envelopes)
I wasn't asking for a supplier but recommendations are welcome. The page I found has a great price so I'm using that one.

I do use Post and UPS but within USA, since my Aeropost address is in Miami. The packages come to Costa Rica and here a Post Office, UPS, FEDEX or USPS truck brings the package to my house.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Why do you need a replacement? Was the original fuse blown?
If so, have you corrected that problem? If you jump out the fuse without first correcting the initial problem, you'll probably let the smoke out of something and then a fuse will be the least of your problems.

Gauzz

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Why do you need a replacement? Was the original fuse blown?
If so, have you corrected that problem? If you jump out the fuse without first correcting the initial problem, you'll probably let the smoke out of something and then a fuse will be the least of your problems.
Yeah, everything is perfect now, there were cold solder points in the primary winding of the transformer.

Check it out:

Before
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4818/beforep.jpg

After
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1293/afterhq.jpg

I added a few more solder points after the photo.

Last edited:
Look at it this way, the fuse is there to prevent accidents like: Reverse Polarity, Thermal runaway, ie. short circuit and circuit trace melting. The 2 amp Picofuse is a reasonable safety alternative.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I wasn't asking for a supplier but recommendations are welcome. The page I found has a great price so I'm using that one.

I do use Post and UPS but within USA, since my Aeropost address is in Miami. The packages come to Costa Rica and here a Post Office, UPS, FEDEX or USPS truck brings the package to my house.
If you have a Miami address then don't blame any of our US suppliers, UPS and their "internal customs clearing" as well as any other customs department along the way is guilty of the crimes.

Gauzz

Joined Jan 5, 2011
I'm not blaming US suppliers, in fact I think they are great, including the ones outside USA.

What I mean is that if there is a store that charges me $100 shipping for one $0.40 fuse, then I'm going with the one that charges me $3.50 for the shipping. This applies to any person inside or outside USA.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Where are you located?

These things are quite small, and can be sent in a standard letter envelope.

IF you have friends or family here, have the fuse shipped to them.

Then, they only need a few stamps to get it to you.

Gauzz

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Where are you located?

These things are quite small, and can be sent in a standard letter envelope.

IF you have friends or family here, have the fuse shipped to them.

Then, they only need a few stamps to get it to you.
Haha, great idea, I'm in Costa Rica but I do have family in USA.

I may do it that way lol. :D