Pico fuse location question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by DCastle, Jun 17, 2012.

1. DCastle

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Hello:

I'm a brand-newbie to this site with limited electronics knowledge. I'm working on an electric fan that had an open circuit. I found the problem; a blown pico fuse located right in there where the motor leads are soldered to the windings. Up to locating the problem and looking online; I know nothing about Pico fuses, and am tempted to relocate the fuse in a more convenient place, perhaps in the box that holds the run capacitor and the speed selector switch. But... Does this fuse have some "thermal-sensing" abilities? In other words; Is there a reason for it to be so close to the windings?

Thanks

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Each of the windings should have one of those fuses on it to protect each winding from shorting out...... if that fuse blew... you may want to check the windings for a short before you just blow more fuses...... those fuses act as a secondary cutoff if primary thermal and overload protection fails....

here is some light reading on the subject >> http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ib_Motor_Single_Phasing_Voltage_Unbalance.pdf

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The pico fuse datasheet doesn't have a word about temperature. However, lack of information doesn't mean temperature doesn't affect it.

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    for a fractional hp ac motor, it is most likely green in color about the size of a 1/4 watt resistor...