Pickit3 Question.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I just got myself out of a jam trying to use the Pickit3 Express Demonstration programs, by finding this answer to my question by EarnieM (see post #3): http://http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=56415&highlight=pickit3+debug+express I had looked for hours for the linker scripts called out in the MPLAB C-Lessons for the PIC18F45K20 here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41370C.pdf. So why has Microchip put me though all of this for linker scripts that aren't needed, and not inluded in the mplabc18 installation? I feel as though I'm missing something when the docs calls for something that doesn't exist! Will I be screwed later when I need these scripts? Or are the docs inaccurate?

Thanks!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
As the lessons manual states in NOTICE TO CUSTOMERS: All documentation becomes dated, and this manual is no exception.

Yeah, still sucks I know. The C18 compiler has been evolving so it no longer needs linker scripts for "standard" builds.

Linker script are very obtuse anyway, and if you never see one you are doing good. They are used to organize where code and data go, as sometimes you need a special place for things such as when you build a bootloader that needs to go in certain locations.

I just tried building Lesson 1 and ran into the linker issue. Just delete the script from the project tree and it should build fine.

Looks like the header paths have also moved. "Way back when" the C18 compiler sat on it's own directory off the root, now it lives under the Microchip folder. No need to fix those as header files are just there to let YOU browse the contents, the compiler just builds the dot C files and links in the rest only when those same dot C files call for them.

Don't hesitate to post problems like this when you first hit them, though you will learn more finding the answer yourself.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
BTW,

ErnieM said:
Looks like the header paths have also moved.
I added the header and lib paths as you wrote in the referenced thread. Not sure if that's what you're talking about here, but it doesn't work without those.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I notice that most people who do that get publicly chided for not doing thier own research.
I don't do that excepting the painfully obvious.

Here the question would be "the documentation says to use X but X is not where they say it is. WTF?"

Hard not to call that a fair question, is it not?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I don't do that excepting the painfully obvious.

Here the question would be "the documentation says to use X but X is not where they say it is. WTF?"

Hard not to call that a fair question, is it not?
Makes me wonder about Microchip's committment to thier customers. All of the stuff I've read up to this point made me think this was going to be a cakewalk, and I'd have great documentation to work from. BTW, my little demo board is targeted for a atonomous power controller, which will monitor a battery using "column counting" and either start a charger or disconnect a load at a particular discharge. I think the little board has everything it needs.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
..but not unheard of considering ALL of the stuff that Microchip has going. Things slip through the cracks, get out of date and worse.

I think that on balance, you'll find uCHIP's customer commitment to be outstanding. As their product line evolves, things change. A post on this or other forums, a support ticket on their site or a call to your local FAE will usually fix things up in a jiffy. I can tell you absolute horror tales of 'support' from other manufacturers that would have you ROFL as long as you weren't the one paying for it.

Finally, hopefully your 'cakewalk' remark was in jest otherwise please disabuse yourself of any such notion. If any of this were that easy, you could buy it in a blister pack at WalMart and guys like ErnieM and myself wouldn't be getting the big bucks!

BTW, I've successfully used PICs for just the kind of charge/discharge monitor you describe so you should be able to do it.

Have fun!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Finally, hopefully your 'cakewalk' remark was in jest otherwise please disabuse yourself of any such notion. If any of this were that easy, you could buy it in a blister pack at WalMart and guys like ErnieM and myself wouldn't be getting the big bucks!

BTW, I've successfully used PICs for just the kind of charge/discharge monitor you describe so you should be able to do it.

Have fun!
Thanks for your comments, but my remark was not in jest. I've developed and deployed many systems based on Altera and Xilinx FGPA demo boards, and I've found the documentation to be spot on in both cases. In fact, those suppliers have documentation so thourough that anyone, properly motavated, can come up to speed quickly on the products.

I'm sure uC isn't all that bad, but they didn't make a good first impression. I'm forging ahead with the project, now that I have a head of steam.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have to admit Microchip did a major ball drop here selling a product aimed at beginners that needs "advanced" support to know when and where changes are required.

In their defense they do product tons of free tools and application code that (for the most part) works fairly well. Yep, there are issues that will bite you (and me too!) and stick you somewhere for a few days until you find it.

The Microchip forums does have a very active and helpful user base who will also help newbies thru these things. Important info very oft gets released on these forums before any other source (such as the VC8 problem with pointers in V 1.01 to be fixed in v1.10).

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for your comments, but my remark was not in jest. I've developed and deployed many systems based on Altera and Xilinx FGPA demo boards, and I've found the documentation to be spot on in both cases. In fact, those suppliers have documentation so thourough that anyone, properly motavated, can come up to speed quickly on the products.
You make a better point than I did. Its easy after 2 decades of using uCHIP to kind of know where the bodies are buried and how to avoid known problems. Upon reflection, I can attest that more than a little of this 'experience' was a result of poor, incomplete or erroneous documentation and on occasion, the result of debugging unknown silicon issues. To your point, maybe the best customer service a supplier can provide is to not require any.

Good luck with your project!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Hi John,

I only meant that the project is conceptually simple enough that it presents no major complications to overcome. I'm sure I'll learn many undocumented features along the way. I guess that's one rational for doing the project in the first place. I was just hoping against hope that the docs would accurately reflect reality. But I'm motivated enough to get through this.