PICKIT3 passes self test but does not connect to PIC

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by spinnaker, Feb 6, 2010.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I have been having a really bad weekend. I blew out two PICS and two LCDs.

So I wanted to make sure my PICKit3 was still working.

I think made another STUPID mistake. I think I hooked up the PicKIT3 to the demo board before I configured it for external voltage.

I had been working with a 5V PIC and I will bet it was set to 5VDC output. My demo board is a 3.3 V PIC.

Normally I try to reconnect to the PICKit3 without the demo board connected to be sure the right voltage is set. :(

The PIC on the demo board is not responding (returning device type 00000000) but the PICKit3 passes all self tests.

I can control the voltage of the PICKit 3.

The demo board was working when I first connected it. Would a 3.3V Pic work for a while from 5vdc?

Does this sound like it is just my demo board that is blown and not the PICKit3?

That one was bound to happen some time. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Besides doing frying, did you have a nice weekend. LoL. A thing I have learned when working with electronics is to have attention to details. Or well to be honest I spent some years in the army and it was an old officer who had this as a catchword. It works in electronics also. But that I have to learn it the hard way

3. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    No I did not have a good weekend! I was snowed in most of the weekend.

Yes I am learning the hard way. :) But the lesson is not set firmly in my brain.