PICKIT2 programmer help!

micronovice

Joined Feb 12, 2010
hello i just bought the PICKIT 2 programmer , but i dont know how to use it to program a muc, do i need to buy another component with the kit? or what do i really need to do......

symqwerty

Joined Feb 22, 2010
Load the hex file and click "write" button...you also could use 'button' on the pickit2 to program your uC, but you have to enable this function first...

hope this will help.....

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Load the hex file and click "write" button...you also could use 'button' on the pickit2 to program your uC, but you have to enable this function first...

hope this will help.....

Actually it all depends on how you are using the Pickit2:

1. Is the uc you are using a Microchip Pic?;)
  2. Are you using it as a standalone programmer??
  3. Or are you using it as a programmer / debugger in MPLAB??
  4. Does your uc support ICSP??
  5. Does the pickit2 support the uc you are using?
  6. Is your uc powered up?
  7. Is the uc in a circuit where the PG and PD I/O's have anything connected to them?
  8. Do you have Low Voltage programming enabled?
  9. etc.... etc.....

Providing a schematic of the uc's circuit could be helpfull, or atleast some more info on how you are trying to use... for all we know, you could be trying to program an AVR with it :rolleyes:

symqwerty

Joined Feb 22, 2010
Actually it all depends on how you are using the Pickit2:

1. Is the uc you are using a Microchip Pic?;)
  2. Are you using it as a standalone programmer??
  3. Or are you using it as a programmer / debugger in MPLAB??
  4. Does your uc support ICSP??
  5. Does the pickit2 support the uc you are using?
  6. Is your uc powered up?
  7. Is the uc in a circuit where the PG and PD I/O's have anything connected to them?
  8. Do you have Low Voltage programming enabled?
  9. etc.... etc.....

Providing a schematic of the uc's circuit could be helpfull, or atleast some more info on how you are trying to use... for all we know, you could be trying to program an AVR with it :rolleyes:
You're right...i am thinking that he knows all these issues before he bought the device.:)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
A coworker of mine called to ask how to put the chip leads into the PICKIT2. I thought that would be a good idea for a small programmer, but had to explain what InCircuitSerialProgramming actually meant. The resulting conversation ended with him saying "I guess I should read the manual."

But how about it. If there were a PICKIT clone that had six leads with female plugs that you could attach to the chip leads to apply power and program, outside of a circuit using ICSP.

-don't mean to confuse-

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
But how about it. If there were a PICKIT clone that had six leads with female plugs that you could attach to the chip leads to apply power and program, outside of a circuit using ICSP.

-don't mean to confuse-

That is what the pickit2 has, 6 leads that connect to the uc even if it is not in circuit, you can actually use the pickit2 to power the uc to program it, but you will still have to have some kind of socket or breadboard to connect the uc to the pickit2....

At 1 time I had made a "Chip clip" programmer to be able to use ICSP with my Pic16Pro programmer ....

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Huh. I was under the assumption the pickkit needed the 5v from VDD. And, by the way, you make some impressive projects.. morse-code.com

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Actually, no, you can have the pickit2 power your uc if needed, you can even specify the voltage level in the settings once you select the Pickit2 as the programmer.....

Pickit2 VDD Snapshot.JPG

quote from Pickit2 Help file.....
Vdd

During ICSP programming, the device needs to be powered in accordance with the device specification. Typically, the device supply voltage is connected to the application circuit supply voltage. The application circuit can be powered by the PICkit 2 or externally. There are a few precautions that need to be observed in the situations covered in the following three sections.
The application circuit is powered by the PICkit 2

The PICkit 2 supply voltage may set between the maximum and minimum voltages allowed by the device programming specification, unless the minimum is below +2.5V. Be sure to set the voltage box to the appropriate voltage before programming the device or turning on Vdd.
and thanks for the compliment, must have checked out my site, thanks....

B. Morse