PicKit2 not found

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by wannaBinventor, Jun 6, 2010.

1. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I've been using my PicKit2 all weekend. I went to flash a new program onto a chip and I got the "PicKit 2 not found. Check USB connections and use Tools --> Check Communication to retry."

I've hit "tools, check communication" and I get the same thing. The PicKit2 is for sure connected to the the USB port. The green "Power" light is even on.

I found the website linked below and noticed that the "calibrate vdd" option from the tools menu option is greyed out - so even if that would have worked it's not an option.

For what its worth, with the USB plugged into the computer I have 0 volts across all pins.

I don't know what's wrong, because I had been using it without a problem earlier.

An internet search provided little help here.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: FYI: I have reinstalled PicKit2 software and I am still having the same problem.

web link: http://www.auelectronics.com/Q4.htm

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    It must be your connections to the PIC, are you sure they are correct? Triple check them and then re-open PICKit2. You could also try connecting from the "Programmer" in MPLAB.

3. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I was actually just coming here to say that the problem is solved. The problem wasn't an issue of not detecting the actual PIC chip, it was an issued of my computer thinking that the PICKIT2 wasn't plugged into the USB port.

I held down the red button while I plugged in the pickit to the USB port. The problem I think was that the PicKit's internal program had been cleared somehow. After Windows said it detected the drivers, PicKit2 software prompted that the PicKit2 hardware didn't have an O/S installed, so it took me to a hex file to import to it.

Working fine again.

As for the MPLAB "select programmer option:" Strange as it is, that has never worked for me.
    All of the programmers under the "Programmer" menu option in MPLAB are available EXCEPT "Starter Kits", "PicKit2" and "PicKit1." I don't understand that one.

Thanks for the help though.

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    In MPLAB is the PICKIT option grayed out or not visible? Then you install MPLAB you can select which programmer to install if you do not select the typical install option

5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    For some unknown reason for some PICs you can't program them directly with MPLAB, you have to use PICKIT2 software. I think the 16F84 is one and there are probably others.

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I have a problem on my PC that the USB port sometimes drop out. Maybe because I use a USB hub. Then this happend the USB hub has to be plugged in and out. Or the PC will not see the PICKIT unit.
    And also if you can avoid it do not use the outdated 16f84 chip. You can get other Microchip MCUs that cost less and do more cheaper. More for less ;)