PICKIT2 ICSP Diagram

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Hi folks, I'm using FLOWCODE 5 with a PICKIT2 programmer from Microchip.

I'd like to perform ICSP with a PIC12F683 but do not know how to connect the 12F683 up to the PICKIT2 programmer.

Could somebody be kind enough to show me a schematic/diagram and any other hints and tips will be appreciated.

I looked in the PICKIT2 manual and there is a schematic which I have attached but I'm confused with the connection to 5V. I've read on the net that the PICKIT2 programmer provides the 5V and connection of the 12f683 to 5V power is not needed. ?????

So, any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot-JDR04

Attachments

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The Pickit 2 will provide 5V(or other voltage) to the target is none is detected, if it is, the Pickit 2 will not try to power it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'd like to perform ICSP with a PIC12F683 but do not know how to connect the 12F683 up to the PICKIT2 programmer.
That's weird, for someone who doesn't know how to connect them, you seem to have provided a 100% correct schematic.

I looked in the PICKIT2 manual and there is a schematic which I have attached but I'm confused with the connection to 5V. I've read on the net that the PICKIT2 programmer provides the 5V and connection of the 12f683 to 5V power is not needed. ?????
The PICkit can provide the 5V power, or it can come from another source. The POICkit still needs to be connected to the 5V power( it powers the clock & data line buffers).

Rather then trying to explain all the things that could possibly go wrong doing ICSP in any and all cases, it would be far better for you to post your secret schematic and we can see if any conflict exists.

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Hi ErnieM, thanks for the reply.

First of all the schematic I provided came right out of the PICKIT2 manual and is not mine.

Secondly, I dont have a "secret schematic", thats why I came to this forum as I do not know for sure how to connect the 12F683 up to the PICKIT2 for ICSP. If I had a schematic that I was sure about there would have been no need for me to ask you guys.

Hope this clears things up. Have a great new year.

Thanks - JDR04

JDR04

Joined May 5, 2011
Thanks tshuck, so I understand the schematic connection to 5V to be optional and can be left out when wiring the PICKIT2 to the 12F683 microcontroller??

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi ErnieM, thanks for the reply.

First of all the schematic I provided came right out of the PICKIT2 manual and is not mine.

Secondly, I dont have a "secret schematic", thats why I came to this forum as I do not know for sure how to connect the 12F683 up to the PICKIT2 for ICSP. If I had a schematic that I was sure about there would have been no need for me to ask you guys.

Hope this clears things up. Have a great new year.

Thanks - JDR04
What are you really unsure about. In the picture you posted. They have used the names RA0 and RA1 instead of GP0 and GP1. But the pin numbers used are correct for your chip. If nothing is connected to the MCLR/VPP pin but the PICKIT. Ignore the isolation circuitry

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Thanks tshuck, so I understand the schematic connection to 5V to be optional and can be left out when wiring the PICKIT2 to the 12F683 microcontroller??
No, that's not quite what I said. I said that the Pickit will determine if it needs to supply power or not, but it needs to know what it needs to do - it is not an optional connection.