PicKit2 circuit

JK-FlipFlop

Joined Jul 5, 2010
I need to build a PicKit2 circuit board for programing my PICs by USB.
therefor I am asking you to find for me the schematic of this circuit because I faild do it.

I have another Q: I don't know whether to buy it or make it so I will need your advice for that.

Thank you for your time.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There will be more problems than building the board alone.
The pickit also contains a bootloader and firmware, that will be needed to work.

There are also some pickit clones around.

Bertus

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
There's a difference between the programmer and a development board. It depends which one you wish to build/buy. You can actually buy the programmer and build your own board for programming your PICs.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
What you are looking at is a starter kit which includes PICKIT2 (the black object), a green board with a PIC already soldered on it along with LEDs, variable resistor and push buttons, and two CDs & USB cable.

You can clearly see 6 golden pins between the green board and the black PICKIT2. These are pins on the green board which can be plugged into the PICKIT2 socket to allow you to program and debug your PIC. Actually, only 5 pins are needed.

In your new project if you also provide those 5 signal pins with 0.1" spacing, then the PICKIT2 can be connected to your new board in a similar fashion to program the PIC. You don't need to program the PIC and then place it into the board anymore. You do it with the PIC already soldered to the circuit.

Attachments

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009

JK-FlipFlop

Joined Jul 5, 2010
thanks you for your answers.

I want a PicKit board that can burn/program any PIC I want into a socket,
than after burning I pull it out, and use it for somthing else.

the goal is to buy PICs , program them, and use them in any thing I want without any demo board.
do you think there is somthing like that?

maby this one answer my Q: http://cgi.ebay.com/PIC-EEPROM-DIP-...147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519269a95b
or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/PICKIT-2-MCU-Un...438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bfc3d00e

I realy appreciate your help, thank you.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The days of socket programing is bygones. PICKIT 2 and 3 programmers are In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) devices. You can program your PIC inside your circuit. It is some design considerations then doing this. But it is no big deal. If you care to read the documentation, that is. The PICKIT 2 and 3 is NOT locked to some demo board.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The PICKit documentation will provide you with all the PICs it can program. You can then build your own development board to program your PICs. Just be careful with the pins layout of your PICs. And Post #10 explains it.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In Post#6 I already gave the connections for several pics for ICSP.
I would not recommend socket programming at all. If it is not especially needed. Every time your MCU is jacked-in and out it will represent wear and tear on both your circuit board and MCU, and risk of ESD damage:eek:. So it is much better to design the board for ICSP from start. Even for the hobbyist.