PICkit 3

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I have not read the datasheet for the 16F88, but it seems ok. Perhaps 4K7 or 12K resistor, if the 10K don't cut it, but I'm not sure about that.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Schematic checks out OK. I use 10K as my default choice and have not had a problem ever.

I assume continuity check also checked for shorts.

Device power from the PIC has been mentioned. Power is continuously on once enabled, so you can check it with a voltmeter. The other signals need a scope to see.

While I have never had an issue with LVP (low voltage programming, which is on by default till you turn it off) MC does recommend pulling RB3 at pin 9 low until LVP is disabled. (See notes in section 15.18 of the data sheet.)

I do miss the troubleshooting modes of the PICkit TWO stand alone app where you could test the static levels on VPP, PGD, and PDC. That's always a good sanity check for these issues.

Finally, do you have any other PIC boards to test just to rule out an issue with the PICkit itself?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
It is rare to occur but I have seen one or two PICs somehow resilent to flashing. Having a spare chip is a good idea.

Tag another 16f88 to a proto PCB and try to flash it.

MCLR resistor can be 2.2K, no problem. Normally 4.7K or 10K is used. I have used 47K a few times.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I swapped the PIC's but nothin. So I checked the PICkit.

I cannot get the Vdd, nothing but zero voltage.

The other pins are also zero voltage.

I think the kit is bad.

This the one retched sent me.

The LED indicators are. Once the blue led stops flashing the next green LED lits RED for a second and turns to green.

Besids I have a willem EPRom Pro.

The chips are OK with the later programer.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have run PCBs for weeks from the PICKIT3 supply.
It is not so easy to destroy or to damage.

For the PICKIT2, I went through all the experience with a damaged board.
It worked sometimes on some days :)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Have you tested the setup with external 5 volt and PICKIT power turned off. Of course it could be as you expect. That your PICKIT is a goner

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It look to me that your MCU in the pickit is OK. So it may be one of the support circuits. You can find the PICKIT schematics in PICKIT user manual. At the end

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Let me check the PICkit schema.

1 q though. I am not sure about debugging.

Does the bugging option can run through the program instruction by instruction, while circuits other parts are connected. ?

Some one check my code out if you are not too bzy :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
1 q though. I am not sure about debugging.

Does the bugging option can run through the program instruction by instruction, while circuits other parts are connected. ?
Yes, otherwise it wouldn't be a very useful debugger. It doesn't clock the instructions one by one, but you can set break points where the uC pauses to allow the user to view ADC, UART, and all other registers in circuit as it runs.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yes you leave the PICkit connected to your circuit same way as it programs. This means you loose 2 I/O pins and also MCLR keeps busy but it's well worth the tradeoff. In all but the smallest projects (8 pin PIC devices things) I always leave the program/debug pins free.

If you ever ran the MPLAB simulator it is just the same for in-circuit debugging. You can set breakpoints to stop on a certain line, step thru each line (assuming you use C) either jumping over function calls, or tracing right into each and every function. You can even open a disassembly window and step thru each machine instruction.

A watch window can be opened to see any register or variable you wish to watch, updated in real time each instruction.

You can even use the watch window to change the value of registers and variables.

Some one check my code out if you are not too bzy :)
I'd take a peek but I don't see any code here mate. :confused:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Presumably there is more to add at the end (waiting for another button press then closing the drive). If you want to test it, add:

loop
goto loop

before "Delay"

I don't think Delay is needed, as after the button is pressed you then wait for the tray to be out, which probably takes half a second anyway.

(I like the label named after a fish..... TrOut :D )

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am stuck in how to detect tray position after first command in Tray eject

When I think more question are coming with no remedy

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Is it as simple as adding this after "goto TrOut" ?
Rich (BB code):
    bcf Tr_out
    btfsc Ej_button
    goto $-1
TrIn
    bsf Tr_in
    btfsc In_S
    goto $-1
    bcf Tr_in
    goto Button scan
I haven't noticed this mentioned in a thread before so I'm just guessing.

(I'm not sure labels work with spaces in.)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Lemme see how I go abt it.

I am still wondering how to check the code in MPLAB sim.

and of course there more code to come