PICkit 3

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Why is my PICKit 3 not detecting the target device. :mad:

All the connections are OK. MPLAB is detecting the kit but the it is always asking to connect the device.

PS. I am using a separate 5V for the PIC 16F88. the ground, PGD, PGC & VPP are connected properly, I double checked them.

So what am I missing here.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There should be a MPLAB setting for external power (not sure where). Then you should connect Vdd on the chip to the PICKIT3.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Ejector!? This isn't an automotive project, is it?;)

Check to make sure you aren't in LVP mode... and are there any connections to your PGD and PGC lines?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
PS. I am using a separate 5V for the PIC 16F88. the ground, PGD, PGC & VPP are connected properly, I double checked them.
So triple check them. Personally I'm about 50/50 in getting PGD and PGC reversed (even once on a PCB layout).

Are there any heavy loads on PGD or PGC? Is there a big cap on VDD (though I have not seen that problem in a long time and forget which programmer it was, perhaps the PM3).

If you have a scope try it and see if the signals "look clean" (Vss to Vdd with sharp edges) and nothing holds VPP down too low.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
So triple check them. Personally I'm about 50/50 in getting PGD and PGC reversed (even once on a PCB layout).

Are there any heavy loads on PGD or PGC? Is there a big cap on VDD (though I have not seen that problem in a long time and forget which programmer it was, perhaps the PM3).

If you have a scope try it and see if the signals "look clean" (Vss to Vdd with sharp edges) and nothing holds VPP down too low.
I've swapped those two plenty of times too:p

Also, if you have a MCLR resistor, make sure that Vpp is connected directly to your Vpp pin and the resistor goes to Vdd after that connection...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
This has helped before
In the MPLAB menu. Go to configure->Select Device. And check that the setting match your PIC. If this do not help. Try Programmer-> settings->configuration. Then click Manual Download

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
All the lights in the kit are lit. the Active led flashes. It stops flashing when I recconect the PIC. Status led turns red until the active led flashing stops.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
All the lights in the kit are lit. the Active led flashes. It stops flashing when I recconect the PIC. Status led turns red until the active led flashing stops.
For whatever reason, the PIC isn't responding properly to the Pickit.

Ensure that:
1.) Pickit ground and circuit ground are connected
2.) PGD and PGC are connected properly(to teh right pins)
3.) there are no other connections on Vpp, just pin 1 on the Pickit

Other that this, there is a chance you fried the chip while soldering...

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Check continuity and diode check on both PGC and PGD to ground and Vdd

Same for MCLR

This is one of those problems that last a few months when a home-made programmer is being used.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi, I know what this is for, or at least I think I know.

A picture of the circuit would be nice. I know that staring at the same circuit makes you go blind. I tend to do it all the times.

When I get that error message, I check the following:

• PGD
  • PGC
  • VCC
  • GND
  • MCLR
  • Resistor on MCLR
  • Powersource
Usually, I find the error then.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Should there be resistor on MCLR ?

If I MCLR_OFF, then would it work ?

I just can't seem to connect the device.

It's just the PIC and the pickit 3. What else would I be doing.

There are no solder bridges.

I am quiet confident in my soldering abilities.

The circuit has only the PIC yet for now. So what am I missing ?

Last edited: