PICKit 3 Debug Express

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by tresguey, Jun 20, 2013.

1. tresguey

Thread Starter Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Hi, I am new to PIC and just purchased this kit. I am having one heck of a time with it. I have installed MPLAB X IDE. All the documentaion and user guides I see are for MPLAB 8. I guess Microchip does not use that anymore. I got lesson 1 to finally work once. Then tried to go on to lesson 2. And the user guide asks me to open a lesson file that I cannot find. Is there a user guide out there that I can actually use for what I have? The board I have is the 44 pin PIC18F45K20.

I didn't think this would be that hard to learn, after a week...off and on I am about to give up.

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    ALL of the lessons installed on my machine under:

C:\Program Files\Microchip\PICkit 3 Debug Express Lessons

Each lesson is in it's own folder inside there.

I agree it is a mess with Microchip changing their IDE and their compilers at the same time: much of the library and example code has not caught up (and perhaps never will). It makes it very tough for a new comer, but the stuff does eventually work.

Ask lots of stuff here and the Microchip forums. There may be more active then here.

(If you see directions to use a link script ignore it. That stuff about a link script is fairly obsolete so you don't need such anymore.)