PIC18F4550 PortA read problem

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by shoraff, Jun 5, 2010.

1. shoraff

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Hi,

I am doing a small project at home with an LCD and four push buttons connected to PIC18F4550 controller.

LCD is connected to PORTD & PORTB, which is working perfectly fine. But four push buttons connected as keypad matrix is connected to PORTA, which is giving lot of issues.

I have configures PORTA0:A1 as output pins and PORTA2:A3 as input pins. During initialization I have set - ADCON1 = 0x0f, CMCON = 0x07, TRISA=0x0C.

I set the output A0 as high using LATA=0x01 and read the PORTA after few milli seconds. Delay routine is

Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. [SIZE="1"]  for(i=0;i<100;i++)
    2.     {
    3.         _asm
    4.         NOP
    5.         _endasm
    6.     }[/SIZE]
    When I read PORTA, I always get junk data. When I don't press any key then the value should be zero as I mask the PORTA with 0x0C to consider only input pins.

As well when I run the program in release mode, I feel the controller is getting reset.

Can anyone help me in sorting this problem out?

Initialization code
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2. #pragma config FOSC=XT_XT //INTOSCIO_EC //4 MHz crystal
    3. #pragma config PLLDIV = 1
    4. #pragma config WDT=OFF
    5. #pragma config LVP=OFF

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    A schematic of the setup would also be helpful to track down problems or bugs.

3. shoraff

Jun 5, 2010
    Hi,

I have attached the circuit diagram. Do let me know if you can view it.

4. coldpenguin

Apr 18, 2010
    With my 18f4550, I found it very sensitive to interference on the pins, you must have a 10k between vdd and MCLR, otherwise it will constantly reset.
    On my similar circuit, I put in 1MOhm resistors holding RA0-3 down to ground. Otherwise I could see it floating at around 3v (when running with the debugger it went high low high low)

5. shoraff

Jun 5, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out today evening :)