pic16f877a led flasher

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by tommer5k, Jan 22, 2013.

1. tommer5k

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    just started on pcs this weekend and i've put together this led flasher circuit. It worked for a bit, the timing was much longer than the 500 ms that it was programmed for though(blame it on the breadboard?) at about 2-3 second intervals.

sorry, i don't have a schematic made up. XT is 4mgh, config set to HS. The caps going to ground are 22pf(datasheet says 15 but closes i have is 18)

Here's the code, i used mikroc, also i did not personally author the code

void main()
    {
    - TRISB = 0xFE; // set direction of RBO to output
    //0xFE = 11111110
    do // To set infinite loop
    {
    PORTB.F0 = 1; // Set RB0 to high
    Delay_ms(500); // 500 mili seconds delay
    PORTB.F0 = 0; // Set RB0 to low
    Delay_ms(500); // 500 mili seconds delay
    }while(1); // To set infinite loop
    }

It was working for several minutes, then just stopped when I wasn't looking. Any ideas?

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    1. Post a schematic. Sorry but there are no excuses. If you expect help then you need to do some work too. A very easy schematic software is Express PCB. You will be up and running in minutes. Post the schematic in png format.

2. Post your code with the code tags surrounding it. You have a small program but it still makes it easier to read.

3. Start your sentences with capitals. Again easier to read.

What happens if you continue looking does it work? :)

What happens if you put the program into debug mode? Can you continue to step / debug through the loop?

Does the pic16f877a have an internal clock? If so try using it. Chanes are you just have a bad connection to your xtal.

3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Another easy schematic program is Diptrace. Slightly harder to use than Express PCB but much more powerful.

4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Also verify that you have the appropriate supply voltage going to the pic.

BTW Diptrace and Expreess are both free for smaller projects.

Metalmann likes this.
  5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    mikroc likes to hide the configuration settings in another window (I don't use it enough to tell you where those are) so they may be set incorrectly.

Also, I believe the Delay_ms() routine needs to know how fat your PIC is running to be accurate. The help file should show you how to do that.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. tommer5k

Jan 10, 2013
    1. Here's the schematic.

Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2. void main()
    3. {
    4. - TRISB = 0xFE; // set direction of RBO to output
    5. //0xFE = 11111110
    6. do // To set infinite loop
    7. {
    8. PORTB.F0 = 1; // Set RB0 to high
    9. Delay_ms(500); // 500 mili seconds delay
    10. PORTB.F0 = 0; // Set RB0 to low
    11. Delay_ms(500); // 500 mili seconds delay
    12. }while(1); // To set infinite loop
    13. }
    3. no comment.

Supply is coming from the Pickit2, i did double check with a meter and I'm getting an expected 5v. I don't know how to use the debugger tool, in MikroC project settings I have it disabled(easily enabled I believe though). I do have it configured as a 4MHZ crystal.

Also, I previously had a 0.1uf cap butted up against the vdd and vss pins but took that out.

[​IMG]

7. tommer5k

Jan 10, 2013
    Also, although I'm not saying it can't be the breadboard, I did a full continuity test yesterday with no dead spots.

8. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    The purpose of the code tag is to keep your formatting. Your code is simple enough so it is not really needed now but if you post more complicated code in the future you should post formatted code only.

That decoupling cap has a purpose. It should be replaced but placed close to the chip as possible. See the sticky in General Electronics for details.

You are going to have to learn to use the debugger. It is another troubleshooting tool. You won't get very far if you don't use all the tools at your disposal.

I do not think there there many mikro C users around here. Most use the Microchip line of compilers in MPLab

And you still did not answer my question: Does your pic have an internal osc and have you tried it?

9. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    The 16F877A doesn't have an internal oscillator...

OP, where/what are your configuration bits?

10. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    What is the - in this line:?
    - TRISB = 0xFE; // set direction of RBO to output

It seems to work but I don't know what the "-" does.

Put that cap back in, in fact put two in, one each at the pair of power pins.

11. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Yeah I meant to mention that. Maybe a typo during pasting?

12. tommer5k

Jan 10, 2013
    Yeah, it was the "-". I hadn't noticed it before, the way MikroC is set up made it easy for me to miss(lots of colors and busy screen).

I think I'm going to switch over to MPLab. Works now. Must have been Schrodingers cat while i wasn't looking.

13. tommer5k

Jan 10, 2013
    Also, thanks!

14. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    That was the whole problem? The "-"??? You must have leaned on the keyboard. :)

Do learn to use the debugger when you switch to mplab.