pic16f84a

michelle14

Joined Sep 18, 2011
hey guys..im new here.. i need help.. i have this project, the vending machine using pic16f84a.. i'll just use sensors for this one.. any help or idea??
thanx!

michelle14

Joined Sep 18, 2011
i want to have a vendo using sensors.. same like with the mcdonalds vending machine.. its just that i'll use 3 sensors.. for instance, i have SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE cups.. the machine will just sense the height of the cup then it will pump the liquid then closes immediately..

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Don't use PIC16F84A use some other mcu with ADC modules and CCP module which will help you with the sensor part.For example PIC18F4520 from Microchips will be good...

Good Luck

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I like PIC16F690 for a basic microcontroller, or PIC16F689 if you need less features. I honestly don't know why people still use PIC16F84(A)'s.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
tom66 said:
I honestly don't know why people still use PIC16F84(A)'s.
Very simple architecture as it has very limited modules and too many resources is available over the web. Beginners find it very easy to understand. Even when I started with mcu stuff it was with PIC16F84A, it’s not cheap if compared with current PICs.Many people say that PIC16F84A is obsolete but it’s not true it’s still in production from Microchip.

Good Luck

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi Michelle.
You can use some sort of light sensors to detect both the presence and the hight of the cup. Put some light transmitters/sensors at different heights. By checking which sensors that are blocked or not (by the cups) you will have a way of finding the correct cup size. And hence how much to fill in the cup.
Good luck with your school project. It look like a nice project. Not that hard, but still much to engineer

michelle14

Joined Sep 18, 2011
thank you t06afre..
that's what i wanted.. but it looks hard for me finding what to use.. whether pump or what regarding the release of the liquid.. i have 3 sensors now for the cups.. and i still dont have diagram for it..

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You can use a pump that runs for a certain time. Or perhaps use a flow meter, and just gravity. It will depend on what components your school have at hand I guess.
i have 3 sensors now for the cups.. and i still dont have diagram for it..
If I just handed the solution over to you. It would be cheating. Besides you would not have learned anything. So give it some time and draw some circuits ideas. Then we can use that as base for further discussion.

michelle14

Joined Sep 18, 2011
ok.. i will..thank you.. if i had the solution i'll send it to you.. im still making my proposal then if approved i'll start making my project.. then maybe you can be my consultant?? hehe

michelle14

Joined Sep 18, 2011
hello.. i've make up my mind.. i'll be using 4 sensors (phototransistor) in this project..
this sensors are connected directly into the PIC16f84a then it will have an output that will be controlled by a pump or an electronic valve.. anyone who has more bright ideas?? help pls..